How to Apply
Potential candidates are referred to the Patient and Family Advisory Board coordinator by staff at the N.C. Cancer Hospital and UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, and by Advisory Board members.
Candidates first complete an application form and are then interviewed by the coordinator. Following that interview, candidates will then be interviewed by members of the Advisory Board ‘s nominating committee who then make their recommendations to the coordinator and the Board.
Board members serve for a two-year term and can serve up to three consecutive terms.
The Board meets on the second Thursday of every other month for a two-hour meeting. In addition, board members are required to sit on at least one hospital committee and complete their volunteer training.
These are the types of people we are looking for to become members of the N.C. Cancer Hospital Patient and Family Advisory Board:
- Patients or Caregivers who have had a recent experience with N.C. Cancer Hospital and/or related facilities
- Caregiver candidates should have attended appointments at the facility with the patient or were part of the hospital stay.
- Candidates who have the ability to share insights and information about experiences in ways from which others can benefit
- Candidates who can see beyond personal experiences
- Candidates who show concern for more than one issue and provide input fairly and objectively
- Candidates who listen well and respect diversity
- Candidates who can speak confidently in a group and work in partnership with others
- Candidates who demonstrate a commitment to customer satisfaction
- Candidates who comply with hospital confidentiality policy
- Candidates who commit to the vision, mission and values of the Board
- Candidates who can be active in discussions, activities or assigned projects