Public Health Concentration
- Eight-week summer experience in the UNC Summer Public Health Fellowship Program at UNC-Chapel Hill, includes a service learning course, placement with a cancer-related research project and workshops. Students will learn about core public health concepts, disciplines and careers; professional skills valued by public health employers; and personal and professional public health networks. See UNC SPHF website for more info.
- Professional Development workshops in use of online/social media for professional networking and for projects in the professional public health arena; leadership skills; communicating messages about public health issues to a variety of audiences in written, oral, and poster formats
- Cultural Competency workshops exploring how cultural beliefs and practices affect public health services and research, as well as best practices working in multicultural environments.
- Preparation for Graduate Record Exam
- Attend regional or national scientific meeting to present research results
- Paid research fellowship at NCCU for 10 – 14 hrs/week during the academic year;bimonthly journal clubs
- During the academic year complete two courses at NCCU: Introduction to Public Health (HEDU 3210) and Introduction to Epidemiology (HEDU 3220)