Coach Hatchell’s blueberry patch supports UNC Lineberger
UNC women’s basketball Coach Sylvia Hatchell’s blueberry patch near Black Mountain, NC is almost ready for the summer picking season. Blueberries are expected to be ready the week of June 24. Each year Coach Hatchell donates proceeds from her patch to UNC Lineberger. Pickers send money to UNC Lineberger on an honor system, based on how much they pick from the “pick your own” patch.
Blueberries are among the fruits with the highest level of antioxidants, believed to help prevent cancer. These antioxidants are even more powerful than Vitamin C. Not only that, studies suggest that blueberries may improve short-term memory.
For some great blueberry recipes from Our State Magazine and the North Carolina Blueberry Council, check out the 2013 Blueberry Recipe Collection featuring reader-submitted recipes.
Directions to the Blueberry Patch
- Take Interstate 40 West to exit 64, NC-9
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Chimney Rock/Lake Lure/North Carolina 9 S
- Turn left onto NC-9 S/Black Mt Ave
- Continue to follow NC-9 S for 5 miles
- Turn right onto Chestnut Hill Rd
- Continue to follow Chestnut Hill Rd for 2 miles
- Turn left onto Flat Creek Rd (Garren Creek Fire Department)
- Continue on Flat Creek Rd for 3/10 of a mile. Destination will be on the right.
143 Flat Creek Rd