U.S. News & World Report has cited UNC Hospitals’ N.C. Cancer Hospital as one of the nation’s highest-ranked cancer hospitals and the top cancer hospital in North Carolina. N.C. Cancer Hospital is the clinical home of UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Among more than 900 hospitals, UNC Hospitals earned a national ranking of 16th in cancer care, up from 32nd in 2015. It previously was ranked 38th in 2014 and 43rd in 2013.
U.S. News ranked UNC Children’s Hospital 28th nationally for pediatric cancer in its Best Children’s Hospital guide in June.
The U.S. News rankings are available online in advanced of its publication of “America’s Best Hospitals” guidebook.
UNC Hospitals was nationally ranked or recognized as “high performing” in 10 clinical categories. Four of its ranked specialties were ranked highest in the state:
- #11 in Gynecology (Best in N.C. in 2016, #25 in 2015 rankings)
- #16 in Cancer (Best in N.C. in 2016, #32 in 2015)
- #16 in Urology (#49 in 2015)
- #17 in Ear, Nose and Throat (Best in N.C. in 2016, #18 in 2015)
- #21 in Nephrology (Best in N.C. in 2016, high performing in 2015)
- #23 in Diabetes and Endocrinology (high performing in 2015)
- #27 in Pulmonology (#34 in 2015)
- #41 in Gastroenterology and GI Surgery (high performing in 2015)
- High performing in Geriatrics
- High performing in Neurology and Neurosurgery
U.S. News & World Report analyzed data from nearly 5,000 hospitals along with the results from surveys of more than 100,000 physicians to rank the best centers in 16 adult specialties from cancer to urology. Death rates, patient safety and hospital reputation are a few of the many factors considered. Only 153 hospitals are nationally ranked in a specialty.
RTI International, a leading research organization based in Research Triangle Park, N.C., conducted the physician survey and produced the Best Hospitals methodology and national rankings under contract with U.S. News.