Meet the Dare County Nurse Navigators
In Dare County, two nurse navigators are part of the UNC Cancer Network. These nurses are trained to ensure that your journey before, during or after the cancer experience is as smooth as possible.
Nurse navigators provide support by:
- Acting as the single point of contact for patients and caregivers in order to resolve barriers to care
- Accompanying patients to initial appointments during diagnosis and treatment
- Assessing patients’ physical, emotional, psychosocial, spiritual and financial needs
- Initiating referrals to ensure patients are connected with community resources
- Coordinating diagnostics, procedures and specialist appointments
- Providing patient education
- Collaborating with the primary healthcare provider
The UNC Cancer Network is fortunate to have a partnership with The Outer Banks Hospital which allows us the ability to simplify the referral and care processes for patients that want to have their treatment close to home. We are also able to assist those that may require services from another healthcare facility.
The nurse navigators provide patient education about risk factors and screening guidelines. They also partner with community organizations to offer educational programs about cancer and cancer prevention as well as to organize screenings.
Navigator services are provided at no cost. Their office is in the Medical Office Building behind the Outer Banks Hospital campus in Nags Head. Patients and families may contact the nurse navigators directly; in addition, the nurses will also receive referrals from physicians, other health care professionals, and health departments.