Cancer by the Numbers
- Cancer is the leading cause of death in North Carolina
- North Carolinians diagnosed with cancer each year: 53,200
- North Carolinians diagnosed with cancer every day: 145
- Estimated number of cancer deaths in North Carolina this year: 18,620
- North Carolina’s rank among states in cancer deaths: 8
- Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the U.S. accounting for 1 in every 4 deaths
- Estimated new U.S. cancer diagnoses in 2013: 1.66 million
- Americans living as cancer survivors: 13.7 million
- Estimated overall cost of cancer in 2010: $263.8 billion
- Cancer accounts for 1 out of every 8 deaths worldwide—more than HIV/AIDs, tuberculosis and malaria combined
- Approximate number of people living with cancer: 20 million
- Projected deaths from cancer in 2030: 13.1 million
- More than 30% of cancer deaths can be prevented
We are dedicated to fighting cancer with every resource.
Make a gift today to help us meet the cancer challenge in North Carolina and beyond.