Education and Training
The Comprehensive Cancer Support Program (CCSP) is committed to training the next generation of psychosocial oncology and cancer support clinicians.
We offer clinical rotations and internship opportunities for students and healthcare professionals interested in psychosocial oncology clinical care and research. These programs provide an excellent opportunity for students in the fields of social work, nursing, psychology, public health, and medicine interested in gaining hands-on learning and clinical experience working with individuals affected by cancer. We are committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly welcome individuals from underrepresented populations.
Clinical trainees learn and participate in an interdisciplinary team approach to care. In addition, they will gain knowledge about the field of psychosocial oncology, participate in educational activities, observe, and, when appropriate, provide mental health and psychosocial support for adults and children affected by cancer.
Examples of prior training and educational opportunities include:
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner clinical rotations
- Field placement internships for second-year Master of Social Work students
- Predoctoral psychology internships
- Clinical rotations for residents and fellows in psychiatry, palliative medicine, and hematology/oncology
- Clinical rotations for medical students and pre-doctoral psychology interns
- Research internships and mentorship for undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows
- Research supervision and mentorship for medical students, clinical trainees, and junior faculty
Additional opportunities pertaining to program development and evaluation are also available for motivated students and healthcare professionals.
In conjunction with the UNC Palliative Care Program and UNC Cancer Lineberger Cancer Network, the CCSP also co-hosts a weekly Grand Round series. Continuing Medical Education credit is available for UNC clinicians.
Individuals interested in learning more can contact Justin Yopp, PhD, email@example.com.
If you are interested in learning more about the CCSP in general, please contact CCSP Program Coordinator, Robin Haring, Robin.Haring@unchealth.unc.edu