The goal of the Research Training and Education Program is to build the careers of talented young investigators and improve the skills of more advanced scientists by providing training, education, and career development opportunities.
The program prepares pre-doctoral and postdoctoral trainees for careers in tobacco control regulatory science. The program has five goals for our fellows:
- Develop individualized mentoring plans under the guidance of a multidisciplinary team of mentors;
- Understand the fundamental issues in tobacco regulatory science, as discussed in the plan for Advancing Regulatory Science at FDA
- Develop research expertise by mastering a content area (e.g., health communication) related to tobacco regulatory science;
- Become proficient in tobacco regulation research methods; and
- Develop professional skills required for successful research careers (e.g., presenting research findings, writing for publication, grant writing, and working in collaborative teams and across disciplines).
Trainees receive flexible, interdisciplinary training and mentoring that includes core training activities and hands-on research experiences. The program brings together our diverse interdisciplinary research teams through professional development meetings, a seminar series, and an annual scientific retreat for Center members.
Our faculty mentors have expertise in a variety of key disciplines, including social and behavioral science, health services research, health disparities, clinical medicine, epidemiology, biostatistics, research methods, health communication, and health economics that are needed to address complicated public health problems associated with tobacco use.
The training program has two co-directors and a site director for the Wake Forest School of Medicine (WFSM) site:
WFSM Site Director:
- Noel T. Brewer, PhD
- Adam O. Goldstein, MD, MPH
- Kurt M. Ribisl, PhD
- Paschal Sheeran, Ph.D.
- Erin Sutfin, PhD
- Mark Wolfson, PhD
Pictures of our fellows at work.
- Allison Schmidt practice dissertation proposal defense
- Catherine Jo and Elizabeth Orlan
Pre-doctoral Fellows Catherine Jo and Elizabeth Orlan in a meeting.
- Jennifer Morgan practice dissertation proposal defense
- Jenny Morgan and Marissa Hall
Pre-doctoral Fellows Jennifer Morgan and Marissa Hall in a meeting.
- Labels meeting
Fellows and staff discussing messages for pack disclosures.