UNC Lineberger Developmental Funding Program
The UNC Lineberger Developmental Funding Program is intended to support the development of cancer research led by faculty of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and to stimulate new applications for extramural funding. All UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center members, UNC-Chapel Hill faculty, and UNC system school faculty are encouraged to apply.
Funds are awarded in the spring and fall. The application submission periods are announced prior to opening.
Two tiers of awards will be accepted: Tier 1: Pilot Awards and Tier 2: Stimulus Awards. Within each tier, proposals are accepted in basic, clinical/translational, and population science.
Additionally, targeted RFAs may be added to each funding cycle, and proposals of high merit in each tier may be considered for the targeted RFA mechanism.
Available targeted RFAs for Fall 2021 cycle:
- RFA for Cancer Survivorship Research
- RFA for Cancer Screening
- RFA for a Population Sciences Approach to Addressing Cancer Disparities in North Carolina
Study sections chaired by UNC Lineberger Associate Directors will review all Tiers of proposals.
Applicants are allowed to resubmit once. If your proposal is not funded, you may submit the same idea again (revised or not) one time. Reviewers will not necessarily know if you’ve submitted before and will not see the former review comments. This limitation in resubmissions is in the interest of stimulating innovation and limiting the burden on reviewers.
Please note: Former awardees must submit progress report. If you have received a UNC Lineberger Developmental Award since 2014 (inclusive), you must include a progress report attached to the end of your single PDF, before your new proposal will be reviewed. The report must include Title/year of funding, team, accomplishments (details of new external grants, publications, etc.), and UNC resources utilized.
To be eligible for review:
- Submit your application online
- Investigators must upload their entire application as a single PDF; the file name should include the PI’s last (family) name.
- The file size of the single PDF must not exceed 3MB.
- Applications missing one or more of the required components will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
- Supplementary or additional materials will not be accepted after the submission deadline.
- No deadline extensions will be granted.
If you have questions, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org