MD, MS, FACS
Associate Professor, Urology
Co-director of the Multidisciplinary Genitourinary Oncology Service, N.C. Cancer Hospital
Director of Urologic Oncology, UNC Department of Urology
Urologic Oncology Program
Cancer Prevention and Control
Meet Angela Smith
Area of Interest
As Director of the Multidisciplinary Genitourinary Oncology Service at the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, my clinical and research focus is in bladder cancer. I have been the PI or co-Investigator on several university-, AHRQ-, and PCORI-funded grants and am an internationally recognized expert in bladder cancer, stakeholder engagement, patient-reported outcomes in urology, and mHealth interventions, with over 75 peer-reviewed publications. As a urologic oncologist and surgeon, I have always had a desire to improve the lives of cancer patients undergoing surgery. My long-term career goal is to conduct meaningful research to improve the quality and outcomes of post-surgical care in cancer through incorporation of patient-reported outcomes into clinical practice. I seek to accomplish this by:
- Promoting patient engagement in research.
- Incorporating patient-reported outcomes in clinically relevant comparative effectiveness research.
- Developing and evaluating the effectiveness of innovative mHealth strategies that improve the quality of care among surgical patients.
Awards and Honors
- Gold Cystoscope Award, American Urological Association, 2022
- Phillip and Ruth Hettleman Prizes for Artistic and Scholarly Achievement, UNC-Chapel Hill, 2020
- UNC Health Care and Faculty Physicians Award for Carolina Care Excellent, 2019: >95% of patients responded “Yes, definitely” when asked if they would recommend me to their friends.
- British Journal of Urology International Article of the Week, “Impact of Bladder Cancer Diagnosis on Health-Related Quality of Life,” April 2018.
- Jefferson-Pilot Fellowship in Academic Medicine, 2017: Four-year $20,000 award given to promising junior faculty at the UNC School of Medicine.
- Best Doctors Distinction, Best Doctors, 2015-2018
- National Institutes of Health Loan Repayment Program, 2013-current
- UNC Urology Scholar of the Year, 2012
- UNC Urology Scholar of the Year, 2011
- NIH-NMA Travel Award, Careers in Academic Medicine Workshop, 2011
- Montague L. Boyd Essay Competition, 3rd place, SE Section of AUA, 2010
- North Carolina Resident Symposium, 1st place, debate, 2010
- North Carolina Resident Symposium, 2nd place, research presentation, 2009
- North Carolina Resident Symposium, 1st place, case presentation, 2008
- North Carolina Resident Symposium, 1st place, case presentation, 2007
- Member, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, 2006
- Medical Alumni Loyalty Fund Scholarship, 2005-2006
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa, 2003
- UNC Johnston Scholar, 1999-2003
News and Stories
Cousins team up to support oncologist, research
Cousins Susan Hall and Harold Malion support the Urologic Oncology Fund for Excellence and the work of UNC Lineberger’s Angela Smith, MD, MS.
American Urological Association honors Smith with Gold Cystoscope Award
Angela Smith, MD, MS, FACS, was presented the Gold Cystoscope Award, an award honoring outstanding contributions to the field of urology.
Chemotherapy plus immunotherapy before surgery is beneficial for invasive bladder cancer outcomes
Tracy Rose, MD, MPH, Matthew Milowsky, MD, and colleagues report that the regimen reduced the invasiveness of the cancer in 56% of patients in a phase II clinical trial.
Angela Smith finds community at UNC Lineberger
Urologic oncologist Angela Smith, MD, MS, has a natural curiosity that inspires her to seek personal insights and ways to improve the lives of those around her.