PhD, RN-BC, OCN
Assistant Professor, School of Nursing
Assistant Director of Cancer Research Training Education Coordination (CRTEC)
Cancer Prevention and Control
Area of Interest
The overarching goal of my academic career and specifically program of research is to develop, implement, and disseminate symptom and functional interventions starting in the hospital and extending into the home setting for adults with acute myeloid leukemia (AML).
Awards and Honors
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Doctoral Mentorship and Education, UNC School of Nursing, 2019
- Distinguished Educator in Gerontological Nursing, National Hartford Center of Gerontological Nursing Excellence, 2018
- Fellow, Gerontological Society of America, 2018
- Clinical Scholar, National Institutes of Health Loan Repayment, 2017-2019
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), Gerontology Content Expert Panel Member, 2011-2014
- Gordon H. DeFriese Career Development in Aging Research Award, Institute of Aging, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2010
- The Pauline W. Brown Diversity Scholarship Award, School of Nursing, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2010
- Best Poster, Challenges in Geriatrics Practice: Advances in Geriatrics, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2009
- Interdisciplinary Best Poster, Interdisciplinary Center for Aging Research: Uniting Scientists (ICARUS) Award, NC Aging Exchange, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2009
- Best Poster, 20th Challenges in Geriatrics Practice: Advances in Geriatrics, 2009
News and Stories
Partnership with NC Central helps expand oncology nursing fellowship program
The UNC Lineberger-Sylvia Lauterborn and Warren Trent Piver Oncology Nursing Fellowship expanded to include three nursing students from N.C Central University, in addition to five nursing students from UNC-Chapel Hill.
Nurse-researcher takes on new roles in leadership, education
Ashley Leak Bryant, PhD, RN, OCN, FAAN, has been a mentor to nurses and clinical health professionals for more than a decade. She is nationally recognized for her research expertise in adult care, palliative and supportive care, acute myeloid leukemia, interprofessional collaboration, and workforce development.
Bryant named assistant director of Cancer Research Training Education Coordination
Ashley Leak Bryant, PhD, RN, OCN, FAAN, joins Bernard Weissman, PhD, and Jen Jen Yeh, MD, who lead as co-associate directors of Cancer Research Training Education Coordination (CRTEC).