Urologic Oncology Program
Meet Eric Wallen
Area of Interest
Eric Wallen, MD, is committed to providing patient centered, safe, cutting-edge care to his patients. He specializes in urologic oncology and robotic surgery and was instrumental in bringing robotic surgery to UNC and in the subsequent development of the robust robotic surgical programs across several UNC surgical subspecialties. He is a founding member of the UNC Computer and Robotic Enhanced Surgery Center (CARES) Advisory Board.
As the Department of Urology’s Residency Program Director, Wallen oversees the training of the Department’s resident physicians. He has a close mentoring relationship with the residents and believes it is crucial that residents work with educators who display integrity, compassion, and professionalism.
Awards and Honors
- American Urological Association Educator of the Year Award, 2012
- “Best Doctors in America,” 2005-2012
- Faculty Teaching Award (“Attending of the Year”), Division of Urology, 2004-2005
- Faculty Teaching Award (“Attending of the Year”), Division of Urology, 2005-2006
- North Carolina Urology Seminar, First Prize, Research, 2004
- North Carolina Urology Seminar, Third Prize, Case Research, 2004
- North Carolina Urology Seminar, Second Prize, Research, 2003
- Harmes Scholar Research Fellowship, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Department of Surgery, 2002