Area of Interest
Specialty: Head and neck surgical oncology, microvascular reconstruction, endocrine surgery, salivary gland tumors, cutaneous malignancy, and otolaryngology.
My current research interests can be segregated into two categories. The first is aimed at outcomes research relating to head and neck cancer survival, post-operative care improvement, and survivorship. Specifically, I’m involved with recruiting patients for a number of clinical trials at UNC for head and neck cancer treatment. In addition, our division is looking at improving our post-operative pain outcomes after major and minor head and neck procedures and developing an ERAS pathway for laryngectomy and advanced oral cavity cancer patients. I’m also investigating the possibility of using acute phase reactants, like platelets, to help predict and prevent post-operative wound complications.
The second aim of my research interests revolves around optimizing and advancing reconstruction of our patients undergoing extensive ablative surgery for head and neck cancers. At UNC, we predominantly use the scapula to reconstruct bony defects of the mandible and maxilla, and we are actively reviewing our functional results at the recipient and donor sites to identify areas of improvement. I am also in the planning stages of collaborating with the speech and language pathology department to investigate optimal pharynx reconstruction post-laryngectomy to optimize alaryngeal speech and formally study a novel and cost-effective trismus treatment developed by Brian Kanapkey.
- BS: Tufts University, Chemical Engineering, Medford, MA (1999-2003)
- MD: University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX (2006 – 2010)
- Residency: Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine – Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT (2010 – 2015)
- Fellowship: Head and Neck Surgical Oncology and Microvascular Reconstruction, University of Toronto, Department of Otolaryngology, Toronto, ON, Canada (2015 – 2017)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, Division of Head and Neck Oncology, 2017 – present
- Board certified otolaryngology specializing in head and neck oncology and reconstruction.
- Pearlstein, K., Wang, K., Amdur, R., Weiss, J., Grilley-Olson, J., Zanation, A., Hackman, T., Thorp, B., Blumberg,JM,Patel,S., Sheets,N., Weissler,M., Mendenhall,B., B,Chera.(2019). Continued Improvement in Quality of Life (QOL) for Patients with Favorable Risk HPV-Associated Oropharyngeal Cancer 1 Year after Completing De-Intensified Chemoradiotherapy. International Journal of Radiation Oncology*Biology*Physics, 102(3). doi:10.1016/j.ijrobp.2018.06.278
- Pearlstein KA, Wang K, Amdur RJ, Shen CJ, Dagan R, Weiss J, Grilley-Olson JE, Zanation A, Hackman TG, Thorp B, Blumberg JM, Patel S, Sheets N, Weissler MC, Mendenhall WM, Chera BS. Quality of Life for Patients with Favorable Risk HPV-Associated Oropharyngeal Cancer after De-Intensified Chemoradiotherapy. PMID: 30395903. International Journal Radiation Oncology Biol Phys. 2018 Nov 2. pii: S0360-3016(18)33922-1. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2018.10.033.
- Blumberg JM, Monjane L, Prasad M, Carrilho C, Judson BL. (2015). Investigation of the presence of HPV related oropharyngeal and oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma in Mozambique. Cancer epidemiology, 39(6), 1000-1005.
- Blumberg JM, Malhotra A, Wu X, Virk RK, Kveton JF, Michaelides EM. (2015). Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis of the Temporal Bone with Otic Capsule Involvement. Clinical neuroradiology, 1-6.
- Blumberg JM, Escobar-Stein J, Vining EM, Prasad ML. (2015). Low-Grade, Nonintestinal Nonsalivary Sinonasal Adenocarcinoma Associated with an Exophytic Schneiderian Papilloma A Case Report. International journal of surgical pathology, 1066896915599060.
- Tewari A, Blumberg JM, Mehra S. An infratemporal fossa mass. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Jun; 141(6):575-6.
- Stirling CE, Yuhasz M, Shah A, Blumberg, JM, Salomon J, Lowlicht R, Steinbacher DM. (2015). Simulated surgery and cutting guides enhance spatial positioning in free fibular mandibular reconstruction. Microsurgery, 35(1), 29-33.
- Blumberg JM, Judson BL. Surgical management of parapharyngeal space infections. Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. September 2014 Volume 25, Issue 3, Pages 304–309.
- Blumberg JM, Jedrych J, Costa J, Judson B. (2012). Cervical dedifferentiated liposarcoma with meningothelial-like whorling. Head and neck pathology, 6(4), 476-480.
- Blumberg JM, Tzameli I, Astapova I, Lam FS, Flier JS, Hollenberg AN. Complex role of the vitamin D receptor and its ligand in adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 cells. J Biol Chem. 2006 Apr 21; 281(16):11205-13. Epub 2006 Feb 8.
- Mauney JR, Sjostorm S, Blumberg JM, Horan R, O’Leary JP, Vunjak-Novakovic G, Volloch V, Kaplan DL. Mechanical stimulation promotes osteogenic differentiation of human bone marrow stromal cells on 3-D partially demineralized bone scaffolds in vitro. Calcif Tissue Int. 2004 May; 74(5):458-68. Epub 2004 Feb 17.
- Mauney J, Blumberg JM, Pirun M, Volloch V, Kaplan D. Osteogenic Differentiation of Bone Marrow Stromal Cells on Partially Demineralized Bone Scaffolds. Tissue Eng. 2004 Jan-Feb; 10(1-2):81-92.