Distinguished Professor, Nutrition and Epidemiology
Area of Interest
June Stevens Stevens, PhD, MS, is a nutrition epidemiologist with a large research program focusing on the causes, consequences, and prevention of obesity and different populations. She has special interests in minority health, anthropometry, and physical activity. Through her work at the Collaborative Studies Coordinating Center, she has access to obesity-related information from several large, multi-center studies. She is the Principal Investigator of the Coordinating Center for two national trials that examine obesity and physical activity in children and adolescents.
Stevens is a member of the American Society for Nutritional Sciences, the American Heart Association Council on Epidemiology, the North American Society for the Study of Obesity, the International Association for the Study of Obesity (IASO) and the Society for Epidemiologic Research. Stevens is currently Vice President for Scientific Affairs of the IASO. She serves as a reviewer for the New England Journal of Medicine, the Journal of the American Medical Association, and the American Journal of Epidemiology, Obesity Research, and the International Journal of Obesity as well as several other journals.
Awards and Honors
- AICR Annual Research Conference Program Committee Washington, DC, February 19, 2009
- Invited Panel Member Institute of Medicine Workshop on Meeting the Challenges of Generating Useful Evidence and Using it Effectively in Obesity Prevention Decision-Making. Panel 1: Generating and Evaluating Evidence: Alternatives and Trade-offs, Washington, DC, January 8, 2009
- Invited Expert on the Clinical Guidelines for Cardiovascular Risk Reduction First Expert Panel and Work Group. Bethesda, MD, September 24-25, 2008 and March 23-24, 2009
- Appointed to American Society for Nutrition Sub-Committee for Professional Nutrition Education, July 2008
- Expert Panel to help plan “2010 Physical Activity and Nutrition Study” conducted by the Division of Adolescent and School Health (DASH) at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Washington, DC, November 14, 2007
- Chosen to chair the 2007 Workshop on Future Research Directions in Childhood Obesity Prevention and Treatment, sponsored by the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, Bethesda, MD, August 21-22, 2007
- American Institute for Cancer Research/World Cancer Research Fund Distinguished Professor, February 2007
- Centers for Disease Control “Health Burden of Obesity”, Atlanta, GA, May 2006.