MD, MPH, FACS
Professor, Surgical Oncology
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Health Policy and Management
Cancer Prevention and Control
Gastrointestinal Oncology Program, Melanoma Program
Area of Interest
Globally, Stitzenberg’s research seeks to define ways to facilitate delivery of quality, comprehensive cancer care for all patients. She is involved in local and national projects focused on optimizing delivery of the most effective cancer therapies. Using geographic information systems and social network analysis, her work has examined issues surrounding patient travel burden, access to care, and care coordination. These projects seek to identify a balance between minimizing barriers for patients and optimizing clinical outcomes through effective care coordination.
Although her research addresses multidisciplinary cancer care for all types of cancer, her clinical focus is on gastrointestinal/colorectal cancer and melanoma/advanced skin malignancies.
Awards and Honors
- Representative, State of NC Advisory Committee on Cancer Coordination and Control, 2012
- American Society of Clinical Oncology Cancer Foundation Merit Award, 2009
- Finalist, American College of Surgeons Resident Award for Exemplary Teaching, 2006
- Surgery Faculty Scholarship Award, University of North Carolina, 2004
- Housestaff Award, University of North Carolina, 2002
- Alpha Omega Alpha, University of North Carolina, 1999
News and Stories
UNC Hospitals recognized for commitment to quality cancer care
The American College of Surgeons has named UNC Hospitals as an ACS Surgical Quality Partner for participating in two of its quality programs.
UNC Lineberger faculty present research at the American Society of Clinical Oncology annual meeting
UNC Lineberger members will be presenting research findings, providing commentary and leading education sessions at the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s 58th annual meeting.
Patient’s experiences with cancer lead to career change
Since her cancer diagnosis, Caterri Woodrum left an executive position in the arts and now focuses on health care and health coaching to help others.