Assistant Professor, Genetics
Computational Medicine Program
Area of Interest
The Hoadley Lab is focused on understanding the biology of cancer through gene expression analyses and integrative genomic approaches. We have been long time members of The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) project that has comprehensively characterized over 10,000 samples from 33 tumor types. UNC was one of the main RNA sequencing centers for the TCGA project and we participated in the gene expression analysis for many of these projects. Our group is continuing our collaborative work as a member of the NCI’s Center for Cancer Genomics new Genomic Data Analysis Network as a specialized center for RNA sequencing analysis. We will build on the experience developed in TCGA to analyze data for new NCI programs and collaborations such as the Exceptional Responders and ALCHEMIST. In addition, the group still focuses on breast cancer through projects to improve our classification of aggressive basal-like breast cancers and genomic analysis of clinical trials.
Awards and Honors
- Marion R. Wright Award for Scientific Excellence, Breast Cancer Research Foundation, 2020
- Highly Cited Researchers (Top 1%), Web of Science, Clarivate Analytics, 2018
- Susan G. Komen North Carolina Triangle to the Coast Spirit to Impact Award – For supporting Survivors and being a catalyst for change in breast cancer outcomes, 2015
- Clinical Research Achievement Award, Clinical Research Forum, 2015
- Manuscript listed in the 2015 Clinical Cancer Advances: ASCO’s Annual Report on Progress Against Cancer, 2015
- Junior Faculty Development Award, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2015
- Top Ten Clinical Research Achievement Award, Clinical Research Forum, 2015
- Weatherspoon Family Brain Tumor Research Award, 2011
Susan G. Komen announces $1.5 million in grants for metastatic breast cancer research
Susan G. Komen has awarded three grants in support of metastatic breast cancer research as part of a collaboration between Komen, UNC Lineberger and Duke Cancer Institute, called the Susan G. Komen Metastatic Breast Cancer Collaborative Research Initiative.
Hoadley leverages team science to generate critical breast cancer insights
For UNC Lineberger’s Katherine Hoadley, PhD, the best way to make progress and major scientific breakthroughs is by working as a team.
UNC Lineberger faculty among the most highly cited scientists worldwide
Clarivate’s 2020 Highly Cited Researchers list recognized 15 UNC Lineberger members for publishing some of the most influential scientific papers the past decade.
Breast Cancer Research Foundation honors Hoadley with the Marion R. Wright Award for Scientific Excellence
Katherine Hoadley, PhD, is the 2020 recipient of the Marion R. Wright Award for Scientific Excellence. Hoadley is the first to receive the award.