Department of Genetics
Computational Medicine Program
Area of Interest
The Hoadley Lab is focused on understanding the biology of cancer through gene expression analyses and integrative genomic approaches. We have been long time members of The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) project that has comprehensively characterized over 10,000 samples from 33 tumor types. UNC was one of the main RNA sequencing centers for the TCGA project and we participated in the gene expression analysis for many of these projects. Our group is continuing our collaborative work as a member of the NCI’s Center for Cancer Genomics new Genomic Data Analysis Network as a specialized center for RNA sequencing analysis. We will build on the experience developed in TCGA to analyze data for new NCI programs and collaborations such as the Exceptional Responders and ALCHEMIST. In addition, the group still focuses on breast cancer through projects to improve our classification of aggressive basal-like breast cancers and genomic analysis of clinical trials.
Awards and Honors
- Marion R. Wright Award for Scientific Excellence, Breast Cancer Research Foundation, 2020
- Highly Cited Researchers (Top 1%), Web of Science, Clarivate Analytics, 2018
- Susan G. Komen North Carolina Triangle to the Coast Spirit to Impact Award – For supporting Survivors and being a catalyst for change in breast cancer outcomes, 2015
- Clinical Research Achievement Award, Clinical Research Forum, 2015
- Manuscript listed in the 2015 Clinical Cancer Advances: ASCO’s Annual Report on Progress Against Cancer, 2015
- Junior Faculty Development Award, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2015
- Top Ten Clinical Research Achievement Award, Clinical Research Forum, 2015
- Weatherspoon Family Brain Tumor Research Award, 2011
Breast Cancer Research Foundation honors Hoadley with the Marion R. Wright Award for Scientific Excellence
Katherine Hoadley, PhD, is the 2020 recipient of the Marion R. Wright Award for Scientific Excellence. Hoadley is the first to receive the award.
AACR honors The Cancer Genome Atlas researchers with 2020 Team Science Awards
UNC Lineberger faculty have held leadership and team membership roles with The Cancer Genome Atlas, which was launched in 2006.