Coordinator, Patient & Family Advisory Council
N.C. Basnight Cancer Hospital
In my role, I recruit, orient and place patient and caregivers as advisors on the N.C. Basnight Cancer Hospital Patient and Family Advisory Council. Council members/advisors participate on committees, assist with process improvement, create programs, teach to the medical students, staff and administration and provide the patient and caregiver voice to positive and collaborative change.
The mission of the Patient and Family Advisory Council is to strengthen collaborations between patients, family members and caregivers and the N.C. Basnight Cancer Hospital’s health care team to provide the highest quality of comprehensive, safe and compassionate health care.
Some of our involvement includes:
- Providing over 9,000 meals to cancer hospital staff during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Creating a program for caregiver support and a program for patient end of life support
- Helping nutrition services develop healthy and tasty meals for inpatients
- Committee participation on quality improvements and safety committees
- Interviewing for new administrative staff
- Working with diversity, equity and inclusion
- Reviewing grants
- Providing input for web communications and development/fundraising efforts