Division Chief of Head and Neck Oncology
Joseph P. Riddle Distinguished Professor
Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Head and Neck Oncology Program
Area of interest
Weissler is involved in the clinical study of head and neck cancer. He was co-investigator on The Carolina Head and Neck Cancer Study (CHANCE), which is a population-based case-control study of head and neck cancer in a 46-county region of North Carolina. The study aims to evaluate the relationship between polymorphisms of diverse genes that, in combination with exposure to tobacco and alcohol, modify the risk of head and neck cancer. He works closely with the Head and Neck Multidisciplinary Team on multiple clinical trials utilizing new chemotherapy and radiation protocols for the treatment of head and neck cancer including the use of intraoperative radiation therapy and the Cyberknife.
Awards and Honors
- 2012 1st Vice-President, American College of Surgeons
- 2012 Director, American Board of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- MD: Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, 1980
- Residency: Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard University, Boston, MA, 1980-1982
- Residency: Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard University, MA, 1982-1985
- Fellowship: Head and Neck Oncology Surgery, University of Cincinnati, 1985-1986
- Professor and Chief, Division of Head and Neck Oncology, Dept. of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, UNC School of Medicine, 2001-present
- Joseph P. Riddle Distinguished Professor of Otolaryngology, UNC, 2000-present
- Professor, Div. of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surg, Dept. of Surgery, UNC, 1996-2001
- Associate Professor, Div. Of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, UNC, 1993-1996
- Assistant Professor, Div. Of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery, Dept. of Surgery, UNC, 1986-1992
- Former Chair, Board of Regents, American College of Surgeons
- Best Doctors in America, 2007-2016 databases
- America’s Top Doctors recognition for Cancer, published by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., 2007 – 2016
- America’s Top Doctors recognition for Otolaryngology, published by Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd., 2002 – 2016
- Phase 2 trial of neoadjuvant chemotherapy and transoral endoscopic surgery with risk-adapted adjuvant therapy for squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Weiss JM, Grilley-Olson JE, Deal AM, Zevallos JP, Chera BS, Paul J, Knowles MF, Usenko D, Weissler MC, Patel S, Hayes DN, Hackman T. Cancer. 2018 Jul 15;124(14):2986-2992.
- Mature results of a prospective study of deintensified chemoradiotherapy for low-risk human papillomavirus-associated oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Chera BS, Amdur RJ, Tepper JE, Tan X, Weiss J, Grilley-Olson JE, Hayes DN, Zanation A, Hackman TG, Patel S, Sheets N, Weissler MC, Mendenhall WM. Cancer. 2018 Jun 1;124(11):2347-2354
- Pitfalls of post-treatment PET after de-intensified chemoradiotherapy for HPV-associated oropharynx cancer: Secondary analysis of a phase 2 trial. Wang K, Wong TZ, Amdur RJ, Mendenhall WM, Sheets NC, Green R, Thorp BD, Patel SN, Hackman TG, Zanation AM, Weissler MC, Chera BS. Oral Oncol. 2018 Mar;78:108-113.
- Interaction between known risk factors for head and neck cancer and socioeconomic status: the Carolina Head and Neck Cancer Study. Stanford-Moore G, Bradshaw PT, Weissler MC, Zevallos JP, Brennan P, Anantharaman D, Abedi-Ardekani B, Olshan AF. Cancer Causes Control. 2018 Aug 1.
- Mendelian Randomization and mediation analysis of leukocyte telomere length and risk of lung and head and neck cancers. Kachuri L, Saarela O, Bojesen SE, Davey Smith G, Liu G, Landi MT, Caporaso NE, Christiani DC, Johansson M, Panico S, Overvad K, Trichopoulou A, Vineis P, Scelo G, Zaridze D, Wu X, Albanes D, Diergaarde B, Lagiou P, Macfarlane GJ, Aldrich MC, Tardón A, Rennert G, Olshan AF, Weissler MC, Chen C, Goodman GE, Doherty JA, Ness AR, Bickeböller H, Wichmann HE, Risch A, Field JK, Teare MD, Kiemeney LA, van der Heijden EHFM, Carroll JC, Haugen A, Zienolddiny S, Skaug V, Wünsch-Filho V, Tajara EH, Ayoub Moysés R, Daumas Nunes F, Lam S, Eluf-Neto J, Lacko M, Peters WHM, Le Marchand L, Duell EJ, Andrew AS, Franceschi S, Schabath MB, Manjer J, Arnold S, Lazarus P, Mukeriya A, Swiatkowska B, Janout V, Holcatova I, Stojsic J, Mates D, Lissowska J, Boccia S, Lesseur C, Zong X, McKay JD, Brennan P, Amos CI, Hung RJ. Int J Epidemiol. 2018 Jul 28.
- Proinflammatory diet is associated with increased risk of squamous cell head and neck cancer. Mazul AL, Shivappa N, Hébert JR, Steck SE, Rodriguez-Ormaza N, Weissler M, Olshan AF, Zevallos JP. Int J Cancer. 2018 Apr 26.
- Incidence of, and risk factors for, mandibular osteoradionecrosis in patients with oral cavity and oropharynx cancers. Moon DH, Moon SH, Wang K, Weissler MC, Hackman TG, Zanation AM, Thorp BD, Patel SN, Zevallos JP, Marks LB, Chera BS. Oral Oncol. 2017 Sep;72:98-103
- Poor oral health affects survival in head and neck cancer. Farquhar DR, Divaris K, Mazul AL, Weissler MC, Zevallos JP, Olshan AF. Oral Oncol. 2017 Oct;73:111-117.
- Incidence of, and risk factors for, mandibular osteoradionecrosis in patients with oral cavity and oropharynx cancers. Dominic H. Moon, Sung Ho Moon, Kyle Wang, Mark C. Weissler, Trevor G. Hackman, Adam M. Zanation, Brian D. Thorp, Samip N. Patel, Jose P. Zevallos, Lawrence B. Marks, Bhishamjit S. Chera. Oral Oncology. 2017 July;72:98-103.
- Effect of HPV on head and neck cancer patient survival, by region and tumor site: A comparison of 1362 cases across three continents. D’Souza G, Anantharaman D, Gheit T, Abedi-Ardekani B, Beachler DC, Conway DI, Olshan AF, Wunsch-Filho V, Toporcov TN, Ahrens W, Wisniewski K, Merletti F, Boccia S, Tajara EH, Zevallos JP, Levi JE, Weissler MC, Wright S, Scelo G, Mazul AL, Tommasino M, Brennan P, Cadoni G. Oral Oncol. 2016 Nov;62:20-27. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2016.09.005. PMID: 27865368
- Genome-wide association analyses identify new susceptibility loci for oral cavity and pharyngeal cancer. Lesseur C, Diergaarde B, Olshan AF, Wünsch-Filho V, Ness AR, Liu G, Lacko M, Eluf-Neto J, Franceschi S, Lagiou P, Macfarlane GJ, Richiardi L, Boccia S, Polesel J, Kjaerheim K, Zaridze D, Johansson M, Menezes AM, Curado MP, Robinson M, Ahrens W, Canova C, Znaor A, Castellsagué X, Conway DI, Holcátová I, Mates D, Vilensky M, Healy CM, Szeszenia-Dąbrowska N, Fabiánová E, Lissowska J, Grandis JR, Weissler MC, Tajara EH, Nunes FD, de Carvalho MB, Thomas S, Hung RJ, Peters WH, Herrero R, Cadoni G, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Steffen A, Agudo A, Shangina O, Xiao X, Gaborieau V, Chabrier A, Anantharaman D, Boffetta P, Amos CI, McKay JD, Brennan P. Nat Genet. 2016 Dec;48(12):1544-1550. doi: 10.1038/ng.3685. PMID: 27749845
- Oral health and human papillomavirus-associated head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Mazul AL, Taylor JM, Divaris K, Weissler MC, Brennan P, Anantharaman D, Abedi-Ardekani B, Olshan AF, Zevallos JP. Cancer. 2016 Aug 29. doi: 10.1002/cncr.30312. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27571516
- Impact of post-chemoradiotherapy superselective/selective neck dissection on patient reported quality of life. Wang K, Amdur RJ, Mendenhall WM, Green R, Aumer S, Hackman TG, Zanation AM, Zevallos JP, Patel SN, Weissler MC, Chera BS. Oral Oncol. 2016 Jul;58:21-6. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2016.04.015. PMID: 27311398
- Factors that impact health-related quality of life over time for individuals with head and neck cancer. Reeve BB, Cai J, Zhang H, Weissler MC, Wisniewski K, Gross H, Olshan AF. Laryngoscope. 2016 Dec;126(12):2718-2725. doi: 10.1002/lary.26073. PMID: 27224024