Vergil N. Slee Distinguished Professor of Healthcare Quality Management
Chair, Health Policy and Management
UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health
Cancer Prevention and Control
Area of Interest
Morris Weinberger, PhD, is a health services researcher who develops and evaluates innovative strategies to improve the process and outcomes of care for patients with chronic diseases. Most of his research has been conducted with socioeconomically and/or medically vulnerable patients, including Veterans. The strategies have been designed to be implemented within health care systems should they demonstrate effectiveness as measured by clinical parameters, health services utilization/costs, and patient-centered outcomes.
Weinberger is also committed to mentoring students, fellows and junior faculty. He is co-Director of the Education Service for NC TraCS at UNC and has also received numerous awards for his advising and mentoring.
Awards and Honors
- Award for Teaching Excellence and Innovation, Gillings School of Global Public Health, UNC-Chapel Hill, 2017
- Class of 1996 Award for Advising Excellence, UNC-Chapel Hill, 2015
- John E. Larsh, Jr Award for Mentorship, UNC-Chapel Hill, 2013
- John M. Eisenberg Excellence in Mentorship Award, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2005
- Under Secretary’s Award for Outstanding Achievement in Health Services Research, Department of Veterans Affairs, 2003
- Vision Award for Groundbreaking Research in Chronic Illness Care, Improving Chronic Illness Care Program, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2002