Assistant Professor; Director of Program on Implementation and Organization Research, Cecil G. Sheps Center for Health Services Research
Cancer Prevention and Control
Area of interest
Birken’s research focuses on translating evidence into practice. Specifically, Birken studies middle managers’ role in implementing evidence-based practices, the selection and application of implementation theories, and the implementation of innovations in cancer care, such as HPV vaccinations, survivorship care plans, and risk-stratified guidelines for CT imaging for hematuria.
Awards and Honors
- Emerging Scholar, Academy of Management Health Care Management Division’s Emerging Scholars Consortium. Anaheim, CA. August 5, 2016.
- Alumna Member, Delta Omega Theta Chapter. The Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. March 2015.
- Outstanding Reviewer, Healthcare Management Division. 2014 and 2015 Annual Meetings of the Academy of Management.
- Fellow, Mentored Training for Dissemination and Implementation in Research in Cancer. National Cancer Institute. St. Louis, MO. June 2014 – June 2016.
- Fellow, Training Institute for Dissemination and Implementation in Health. National Cancer Institute. Chapel Hill, NC. June 2011.