Associate Professor, Hematology
Clinic Medical Director, Malignant Hematology
Meet Sascha Tuchman
Area of Interest
I am a board-certified hematologist and medical oncologist and I divide my time between clinical care and clinical research. I study and treat all forms of plasma cell disorders but have a special research interest in amyloidosis and senior and/or frail patients with multiple myeloma. I lead the multiple myeloma and amyloidosis group at the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill. I have years of experience in managing patients and leading clinical trials in these diseases. I head the teams that manage these patients clinically, collect clinical data, analyze data, and prepare abstracts for conference submissions and manuscript publications. I also mentor trainees with an interest in these disorders and several of my former mentees are pursuing training for careers in academic hematology and oncology. I sit on expert groups that conduct research in and formulate guidelines for managing plasma cell disorders, and I participate in national cooperative groups such as the ALLIANCE multiple myeloma committee and subcommittee for myeloma in the elderly.
Awards and Honors
- Selection as Eugene Stead Teaching Attending Physician, Duke University Medical Center, 2012
- Burroughs Wellcome Foundation Travel Award, 2010
- American Society of Hematology Travel Award, 2009
- American Society of Clinical Oncology Merit Award, 2009
- Travel Award, American Society of Hematology, 2009
- Summa cum laude honors, Georgetown University School of Medicine, 2003
- Golden Key National Honor Society, Tufts University, 1996
- Cum laude honors at graduation, Tufts University, 1996
- J. William Fulbright Grant, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, 1996
News and Stories
Studies identify barriers between doctors and their patients that limit clinical trial enrollment for Black people with blood cancers
Shakira Grant, MBBS, the studies’ principal investigator, shared the findings during oral presentations at the annual meeting of the American Society of Hematology (ASH) in New Orleans.
Tuchman, Strayhorn prepare for Greenland trek to support multiple myeloma research
Sascha Tuchman, MD, MHS, and Dell Strayhorn, MPH, FNP-C, along with Tuchman’s son, Ezra, will be trekking across Greenland to raise funds and awareness about multiple myeloma.
Hematologist focuses on multiple myeloma, amyloidosis
Sascha Tuchman, MD, MHS, specializes in hematology, and specifically multiple myeloma and amyloidosis. At UNC Lineberger, he collaborates with other UNC Lineberger clinicians and scientists, and works to cultivate the next generation of myeloma experts.