Assistant Professor, Oncology
Thoracic and Head & Neck Cancer Programs
Area of Interest
Shetal Patel, MD, PhD, completed her degrees at the University of Pennsylvania, studying cancer biology in the laboratory. After completing her Internal Medicine residency at Brigham & Women’s Hospital, she returned to the University of Pennsylvania to compete fellowship training in medical oncology.
Her clinical focus at UNC is treating patients with thoracic and head/neck malignancies. Her research interests include developing translational studies and clinical trials to improve treatment options for patients, with a particular focus on novel immunotherapies, genomic profiling, and targeted therapies.
Awards and Honors
- Lung Cancer Initiative of North Carolina Research Fellows Grant, 2020-2021
- Measey Physician Scientist Fellowship Award, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 2017
- National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences TL1 Award, 2017
- Ruth L. Kirschstein Institutional National Research Service Award, 2015-2017
- Rose and Hershel Kanovsky Prize in Internal Medicine, University of Pennsylvania , 2011
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2010