Area of Interest
Shetal Patel, MD, PhD, completed her degrees at the University of Pennsylvania, studying cancer biology in the laboratory. After completing her Internal Medicine residency at Brigham & Women’s Hospital, she returned to the University of Pennsylvania to compete fellowship training in medical oncology.
Her clinical focus at UNC is treating patients with thoracic and head/neck malignancies. Her research interests include developing translational studies and clinical trials to improve treatment options for patients, with a particular focus on novel immunotherapies, genomic profiling, and targeted therapies.
Awards and Honors
- Lung Cancer Initiative of North Carolina Research Fellows Grant, 2020-2021
- Measey Physician Scientist Fellowship Award, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 2017
- National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences TL1 Award, 2017
- Ruth L. Kirschstein Institutional National Research Service Award, 2015-2017
- Rose and Hershel Kanovsky Prize in Internal Medicine, University of Pennsylvania , 2011
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2010