MD, MMHC, FACS
Thomas J. Dark Distinguished Professor
Chair, Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
Area of Interest
Head and neck surgery
Awards and Honors
- “America’s Top Doctors for Cancer,” Executive List, Castle Connolly, 2016-2018
- “America’s Top Doctors,” Editions 8-14, Castle Connolly, 2009-2018
- “America’s Top Doctors for Cancer,” Editions, Castle Connolly, 2005-2018
- “Top Doctors for Cancer,” Newsweek Magazine, 2015
- Presidential Citation, AHNS, American Head and Neck Society, 2014
- “America’s Top Doctors – New York Metro Area,” Edition 17, Castle Connolly, 2014
- 5-star Patient Satisfaction Awards for Overall Quality of Doctor Care. Given for achieving overall quality of care in the 90th-99th percentile, 2011
- Professional Research Consultants (PRC) in Omaha, NE
- “America’s Top Physicians”, Consumers’ Research Council of America & SLD Industries, Inc., 2010
- Distinguished Service Award in Scientific Programs, Exhibits, Continuing Education Courses and Instructional Course, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation, 2004
- Harris P. Mosher Award, Recognizing excellence in clinical research, The American Laryngological, Rhinological and Otological Society, 2002
- Jefferson Pilot Fellowship, Recognizing the outstanding Assistant Professor in the School of Medicine, 2000
- The American Laryngological, Rhinological, and Otological Society, Inc., Resident Research Award, 1st prize, 1994
- Nathan A. Womack Scholar, Recognizing the outstanding surgical resident, 1994
- Newton D. Fischer Society Temporal Bone Dissection Award, 1991- 1992
- Michiko Kuno Award for Best Presentation of John B. Graham, Student Research Society, 1989
- Graduated with Honors and Distinction, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 1989
- Deborah C. Leary Award, For the outstanding medical student research paper, 1989
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1988
- Academic Honors, Medical School, 1986-1989
- Phi Lambda Upsilon (Honorary Chemical Society), 1985
- Student Research & Recognition Foundation Award, Recognition for outstanding Senior Student Majoring in Chemistry, 1985
- Graduated with Honors in Chemistry, 1985
- John Motley Morehead Scholarship, 1981-1985
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1984
- Phi Eta Sigma (Freshman Honor Society), 1982
News and Stories
Patient’s cancer experience sparks creativity
Cindi Jolly uses her talents as a writer and painter to illustrate her journey with nasopharyngeal cancer, chronicling the ups and downs she faced from diagnosis to treatment and to survivorship.
UNC Lineberger partners on 5-year, $11.7 million head and neck cancer NIH SPORE grant
UNC Lineberger, Yale Cancer Center and Fox Chase Comprehensive Cancer Center will use the grant to develop better treatments for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
UNC Lineberger researchers to use five year, $3.78 million grant to study tumor mutation and blood tests for HPV-related head and neck cancers
Wendell Yarbrough, MD, MMHC, and colleagues will build upon research that demonstrated tumor and blood tests developed at UNC Lineberger could effectively determine if a patient's cancer had recurred.
Doctor leads by example from bench to bedside
Wendell Yarbrough, MD, MMHC, FACS, is a distinguished head and neck cancer surgeon and researcher studying potential new cancer therapies at UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- Cheraghlou S, Kuo P, Otremba MD, Mehra S, Yarbrough WG,Judson BL. Extracapsular extension is not a significant prognostic indicator in non-squamous cancers of the major salivary glands. Cancers of the Head and Neck, 2018. Published July 3, 2018.
- Li H, Torabi SJ, G. Yarbrough, Mehra S, Osborn HA, Judson B. Association of human papillomavirus status at head and neck carcinoma subsites with overall survival. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Published online May 10, 2018. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2018.0395
- Cheraghlou S, Kuo P, Mehra S, Agogo GO, Bhatia A, G. Yarbrough, Burtness BA, Judson BL. Adjuvant therapy in major salivary gland cancers: an analysis of 8580 patients in the National Cancer Database. Head and Neck. May 2018. doi: 10.1002/hed.24984. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cheraghlou S, Kuo P, Mehra S, Yarbrough WG, Judson BL. Untreated oral cavity cancer: Long-term survival and factors associated with treatment refusal. Laryngoscope. March 2018. doi: 10.1002/lary.26809.
- Morse E, Henderson C, Mehra S, Carafeno, T, Judson BL, Sasaki CT, Yarbrough WG, Longley P, Chan E. A Clinical Care Pathway to Reduce ICU Usage in Head and Neck Microvascular Reconstruction. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 2018.PMID: 30060705 DOI: 10.1177/0194599818782404
- Cheraghlou S, Kuo P, Mehra S, Agogo, G, Bhatia A, Husain ZA, Yarbrough WG,Burtness, BA, Judson BL. Adjuvant therapy in major salivary gland cancers: Analysis of 8580 patients in the National Cancer Database. Head and Neck, 2018. PMID: 29756412 DOI: 10.1002/hed.24984.
- Zhang J, Chen T, Yang X, Cheng H, Späth SS, Clavijo PE, Chen J, Silvin C, Issaeva N, Su X, Yarbrough WG, Annunziata CM, Chen Z, Van Waes C. Attenuated TRAF3 fosters alternative activation of NF-κB and reduced expression of anti-viral interferon, TP53, and RB to promote HPV-positive head and neck cancers. Cancer Research, 2018. PMID: 29921694 DOI: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-17-0642
- Biktasova A, Hajek M, Sewell A, Gary C, Bellinger G, Deshpande HA, Bhatia A, Burtness B, Judson B, Mehra S, Yarbrough WG, Issaeva N. Demethylation Therapy as a Targeted Treatment for Human Papillomavirus-Associated Head and Neck Cancer. Clinical Cancer Research, December 2017. 23(23):7276-7287. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-17-1438
- Cheraghlou S, Yu PK, Otremba MD, Park HS, Bhatia A, Zogg CK, Mehra S, Yarbrough WG, Judson BL. Treatment deintensification in human papillomavirus-positive oropharynx cancer: Outcomes from the National Cancer Data Base. Cancer. December 2017. doi: 10.1002/cncr.31104.
- Cheraghlou S, Kuo P, Mehra S, Yarbrough WG, Judson BL. Salvage Surgery after Radiation Failure in T1/T2 Larynx Cancer: Outcomes following Total versus Conservation Surgery. Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery. December 2017. 194599817742596. doi: 10.1177/0194599817742596.
- Bledsoe TJ, Park HS, Stahl JM, Yarbrough WG, Burtness BA, Decker RH, Husain ZA. Response. Journal of National Cancer Institute. November 2017. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djx230.
- Bledsoe TJ, Park HS, Stahl JM, Yarbrough WG, Burtness BA, Decker RH, Husain ZA. Hypofractionated Radiotherapy for Patients with Early-Stage Glottic Cancer: Patterns of Care and Survival.Journal of National Cancer Institute, October 2017. 109(10). doi: 10.1093/jnci/djx042.
- Issaeva N, Burtness B, Yarbrough WG. TRAF3 and CYLD Gene Defects in HPV-Associated Head and Neck Cancer: Biomarker of Response and Indicator of Targets for New Therapies. Journal of Cancer Clinical Trials. October 2017. J Cancer Clin Trials 3: 1000142.
- Fujiwara RJT, Burtness B, Husain ZA, Judson BL, Bhatia A, Sasaki CT, Yarbrough WG, Mehra S. Treatment guidelines and patterns of care in oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma: Primary surgical resection vs. nonsurgical treatment. Oral Oncology, August 2017. 71:129-137. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2017.06.013
- Panaccione A, Zhang Y, Ryan M, Moskaluk CA, Anderson KS, Yarbrough WG*, Ivanov SV. MYB fusions and CD markers as tools for authentication and purification of cancer stem cells from salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma. Stem Cell Research, May 2017, 21:160-166.
- Wamsley JJ, Gary C, Biktasova A, Hajek M, Bellinger G, Virk R, Issaeva N, Yarbrough WG*. Loss of LZAP inactivates p53 and regulates sensitivity of cells to DNA damage in a p53-dependent manner. Oncogenesis, April 2017, 6(4): e314.
- Fujiwara RJ, Judson BL, Yarbrough WG, Husain Z, Mehra S. Treatment delays in oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma and association with survival. Head Neck, April 2017, 39(4):639-646.
- Panaccione, Y. Zhang, Y. Mi, Y. Mitani, G. Yan, M.L. Prasad, W.H. McDonald, A.K. El-Naggar, W.G. Yarbrough*, S.V. Ivanov. Chromosomal abnormalities and molecular landscape of metastasizing mucinous salivary adenocarcinoma. Oral Oncology, March 2017, 66:38-45.
- Bauman JE, Duvvuri U, Gooding WE, Rath TJ, Gross ND, Song J, Jimeno A, Yarbrough WG, Johnson FM, Wang L, Chiosea S, Sen M, Kass J, Johnson JT, Ferris RL, Kim S, Hirsch FR, Ellison K, Flaherty JT, Mills GB, Grandis JR. Randomized, placebo-controlled window trial of EGFR, Src, or combined blockade in head and neck cancer. JCI Insight, March 2017,2(6): e90449.
- Wamsley J. J., C. Gary, A. Biktasova, M. Hajek, G. Bellinger, R. Virk, N. Issaeva, and G. Yarbrough*. Loss of LZAP Inactivates p53 and Regulates Sensitivity of Cells to DNA Damage in a p53-dependent Manner. Oncogenesis, February 2017, 6(4):e314.
- Lee N.C., J.R Kelly., H.S. Park, G. Yarbrough, B.A. Burtness, and Z.A. Husain. The risk of level IB nodal involvement in oropharynx cancer: guidance for submandibular gland sparing irradiation. Practical Radiation Oncology, February 2017, pii: S1879-8500(17)30047-4.
- Morse E, Judson BL, Husain ZA, Burtness B, Yarbrough WG,Sasaki CT,Cheraghlou S,Mehra S. Treatment Delays in Primarily Resected Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma: National Benchmarks and Survival Associations.Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 2018. PMID: 30060700 DOI: 10.1177/0194599818779052
- Wamsley J., N. Issaeva, H. An, X. Lu, L. Donehower & G. Yarbrough*. LZAP is a novel Wip1 binding partner and positive regulator of its phosphatase activity in vitro. Cell Cycle, 2017 Jan 17; 16(2):213-223.
- R. Kelly, H.S. Park, Y. An, J.N. Contessa, W.G. Yarbrough, B. A. Burtness, R. Decker, Z. Husain. Comparison of Survival Outcomes Among Human Papillomavirus–Negative cT1-2 N1-2b Patients with Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Cancer Treated with Upfront Surgery vs Definitive Chemoradiation Therapy. JAMA Oncology,January 2017. doi:10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.5769.
- Tan, L. Song, M. Graham, A. Schettino, D. Navaratnam, W.G. Yarbrough, J. Santos-Sacchi, and A.V., Ivanova. Novel role of the mitochondrial protein Fus1 in protection from premature hearing loss via regulation of oxidative stress and nutrient and energy sensing. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling. January 2017. doi:10.1089/ars.2016.6851.
- Panaccione, Y. Guo, W.G. Yarbrough, S.V. Ivanov. Expression Profiling of Clinical Specimens Supports the Existence of Neural Progenitor-Like Stem Cells in Basal Breast Cancers. Clinical Breast Cancer, January 2017, (4):298-306.e7.
- Hajek, A. Sewell, S. Kaech, B. Burtness, W.G. Yarbrough*,N. Issaeva. TRAF3/CYLD Mutations Identify a Distinct Subset of Human Papilloma Virus-Associated Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Cancer, January 2017, 123(10):1778-1790.
- An, Y., Park, H., Kelly, J.,Stahl, J.,G. Yarbrough,Burtness, B.A., Contessa, J., Decker, R., Koshy, M., Husain, Z.A. The Prognostic Value of Extranodal Extension in Human Papilloma Virus-associated Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Cancer2017, 123(14):2762-2772.
- Fujiwara, RJT, Husain ZA, Burtness BA, Judson BL, Bhatia A, Sasaki CT, Yarbrough WG, Mehra S. Treatment guidelines and patterns of care in oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma: primary surgical resection vs. nonsurgical treatment. Oral Oncology, 2017, 71:129-137.
- Husain ZA, Chen T, Corso CD, Wang Z, Park H, Judson B, Yarbrough WG, Deshpande H, Mehra S, Kuo P, Decker RH, Burtness BA. A Comparison of Prognostic Ability of Staging Systems for Human Papillomavirus-Related Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. JAMA Oncol, 2017, 3(3):358-365.
- Brandt, S., Simonik, E.A., Cai, Y., Kimmelshue, K.N., Brantley, D., Loomans, H.A., Andl, C., Westlake, G., Youngblood, V.M., Chen, J., G. Yarbrough, Brown, B.T. LIM-Only Protein 4 (LMO4) and LIM Domain Binding Protein 1 (LDB1) Promote Growth and Metastasis of Human Head and Neck Cancer (LMO4 and LDB1 in Head and Neck Cancer)PLOS One, 2016 Oct 25, 11(10): e0164804.
- Yarbrough, W.G., A.Panaccione, M.T. Chang, S. Ivanov. Clinical and Molecular Insights Into Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma: Neural Crest-Like Stemness as a Target. Laryngoscope Investigative Otolaryngology; 60-77, August 2016.
- Kuo, P., Sosa, J.A., Burtness, B.A., Husain, Z.A., Mehra, S., Roman, S.A.,G. Yarbrough, Judson, B.L. Treatment Trends and Survival Effects of Chemotherapy for Hypopharyngeal cancer: Analysis of the National Cancer database. Cancer 2016, 122(12):1853-60.
- Panaccione A., M.T. Chang, B.E. Carbone, Y. Guo, C.A. Moskaluk, R.K. Virk, L. Chiriboga, M.L. Prasad, B. Judson, S. Mehra, G. Yarbrough*,S.V. Ivanov. NOTCH1 and SOX10 are Essential for Proliferation and Radiation Resistance of Cancer Stem-Like Cells in Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma. Clinical Cancer Research 2016, 22(8):2083-95.
- Gary, C., Hajek, M., Biktasova, A., Bellinger, G., G. Yarbrough, Issaeva, N. Selective Antitumor Activity of Roscovitine in Head and Neck Cancer. Oncotarget 2016,7(25):38598-38611.
- Schwam Z.G., Burtness B,Yarbrough G., Mehra S., Husain Z., Judson B.L.National treatment patterns in patients presenting with Stage IVC head and neck cancer: analysis of the National Cancer Database. Cancer Med.2015, Dec;4(12):1828-35.
- Uzhachenko, R., A. Shanker, G. Yarbroughand A.V. Ivanova. Mitochondria, calcium, and tumor suppressor Fus1: At the crossroad of cancer, inflammation and autoimmunity, Oncotarget,2015,6(25):20754-72.
- Baldassarri, R., R. Aronberg, A.W. Levi, G. Yarbrough,D. Kowalski, and D. Chhieng. Detection and genotype of high-risk human papillomavirus in fine-needle aspirates of patients with metastatic squamous cell carcinoma is helpful in determining tumor origin. American Journal of Clinical Pathology2015, 143(5):694-700.
- Comprehensive Genome Atlas Network.Comprehensive genomic characterization of head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Nature2015, 517(7536):576-82.
- Yazlovitskaya E.M., Voziyan P.A., Manavalan T., Yarbrough W.G. and Ivanova A.V.Cellular oxidative stress response mediates radiosensitivity in Fus1-deficient mice. Cell Death and Disease 2015, 6:e1652.
- Farmer R.W., L. McCall, F. J. Civantos, J.N. Myers, G.Yarbrough,B. Murphy, M. O’Leary, R. Zitsch, and B.A. Siegel. Lymphatic Drainage Patterns in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Findings of the ACOSOG Z0360 (Alliance) Study. Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery2015, 152(4):673-7.
- Aronberg, R.M., S.R. Punekar, S.I. Adam, B.J. Judson, S. Mehra, and G. Yarbrough*.Esophageal perforation caused by edible foreign bodies: a systematic review of the literature. Laryngoscope 2015, 125(2):371-8.
- Parfenov, M., C.S. Pedamallu, N. Gehlenborg, S.S. Freeman, L. Danilova, C.A. Bristow CA, S. Lee, A.G. Hadjipanayis, E.V. Ivanova, M.D. Wilkerson, A. Protopopov, L. Yang, S. Seth, X. Song, J. Tang, X. Ren, J. Zhang, A. Pantazi, N. Santoso, A.W.Xu, H. Mahadeshwar, D.A.Wheeler, R.I. Haddad, J. Jung, A.I. Ojesina, N. Issaeva,G. Yarbrough, D.N. Hayes, J.R. Grandis, A.K. El-Naggar, M. Meyerson, P.J. Park, L. Chin, J.G. Seidman, P.S. Hammerman, and R. Kucherlapati. Cancer Genome Atlas Network. Characterization of HPV and host genome interactions in primary head and neck cancers. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2014, 111(43):15544-9.
- Kuo, P., M.M. Chen, R.H. Decker, G. Yarbrough,and B.L. Judson. Hypopharyngeal cancer incidence, treatment, and survival: temporal trends in the United States. Laryngoscope 2014, 124(9):2064-9.
- Moser, R., C. Xu, M. Kao, J. Annis, L.A. Lerma, C.M. Schaupp, K.E. Gurley, I.S. Jang, A. Biktasova, G. Yarbrough, A.A. Margolin, C. Grandori, C.J. Kemp, and E. Méndez. Functional kinomics identifies candidate therapeutic targets in head and neck cancer. Clinical Cancer Research. 2014, 20(16):4274-88.
- Chen, M.M., S.A. Roman, G. Yarbrough, B.A. Burtness, J.A. Sosa, B.J. Judson. Trends and variations in the use of adjuvant therapy for patients with head and neck cancer. Cancer2014, 120(21):3353-60.
- Thompson, P.D., A. Sakwe, R. Koumangoye, G. Yarbrough,J. Ochieng, and D.R. Marshall DR. Alpha-2 Heremans Schmid. Glycoprotein (AHSG) modulates signaling pathways in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cell line SQ20B. Experimental Cell Research 2014, 321(2):123-32.
- Uzhachenko, R., S.V. Ivanov, G. Yarbrough,A. Shanker, R. Medzhitov, and A.V. Ivanova. Fus1/Tusc2 is a novel regulator of mitochondrial calcium handling, Ca2+-coupled mitochondrial processes, and Ca2+-dependent NFAT and NF-κB pathways in CD4+ T cells. Antioxidants and Redox Signaling 2014, 20(10):1533-47.
- Sewell, A., B. Brown, A. Biktasova, G.B. Mills, Y. Lu, D.R. Tyson, N. Issaeva, and G.Yarbrough*. Reverse Phase Protein Array Profiling of Oropharyngeal cancer and significance of PIK3CA mutations in HPV-associated head and neck cancer. Clinical Cancer Research2014, 20(9):2300-11.
- Luryi, A.L., G.Yarbrough, L.M. Niccolai, S. Roser, S.G. Reed, C.A. Nathan, M.G. Moore, T. Day, and B.L. Judson. Public Awareness of Head and Neck Cancers: A Cross-Sectional Survey, Journal of the American Medical Association Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery 2014, 140(7):639-46.
- Yarbrough, W.G.*,Sewell, E. Tickle, E. Rhinehardt, R. Harkleroad, M. Bennett, D. Johnson, L. Wen, M. Pfeiffer, M. Benegas, and J. Morath. A Tool to determine financial impact of adverse events in healthcare: Healthcare Quality Calculator.Journal of Patient Safety2014, 10(4):202-10.
- Ivanov, S.V., A. Panaccione, D. Nonaka, M.L. Prasad, K.L. Boyd, B. Brown, Y. Guo, A. Sewell, and G.Yarbrough*. Diagnostic SOX10 gene signatures in salivary adenoid cystic and breast basal-like carcinomas. British Journal of Cancer2013, 109(2):444-51.
- Godoy, J.M., A. Sewell, B. Johnston, B.T. Brown, X. Lu, R.J. Sinard, S. Rohde, K. Mannion, J.L. Netterville, and G. Yarbrough*.Viable biobanking of primary head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.Laryngoscope2013, 123(3):641-5.
- Athavale, S.M., S. Rangarajan, L. Dharamsi, S. Wentz, S. Phillips, T. McRackan, and G. Yarbrough*.AlloDerm and DermaMatrix implants for parotidectomy reconstruction: a histologic study in the rat model. Head & Neck2013, 35(2):242-9.
- Slebos, R., N. Jehmlich, B. Brown, Z. Yin, C. Chung, G.Yarbrough, and D. Liebler. Proteomic Analysis of Oropharyngeal Carcinomas Reveals Novel HPV-Associated Biological Pathways. International Journal of Cancer2013, 132(3):568-79.
- Ivanov, S.V., A. Panaccione, A. Brown, Y. Guo, C.A. Moskaluk, M.J. Wick, J.L. Brown, A.V. Ivanova, N. Issaeva, A.K. El-Naggar, and G.Yarbrough*.TRKC Signaling is Activated in Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma and Requires NT-3 to Stimulate Invasive Behavior. Oncogene2013, 32(32):3698-710.
- Yazlovitskaya, E.M., R. Uzhachenko, P.A. Voziyan, G. Yarbroughand A.V. Ivanova. A novel radioprotective function for the mitochondrial tumor suppressor protein Fus1. Cell Death and Disease2013, 4:e687
- Bennett, M., J.M. Morath, G. Yarbrough, R. Sinard, J. Netterville, and R.D. Eavey. The Mortality Observed-to-Expected Ratio in Otolaryngology. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery2013, 148(1):59-63.
- Lu, X., H An., R. Jin, M. Zou, Y. Guo, P.F. Su, D. Liu, Y. Shyr, and G.Yarbrough*. PPM1A is a RelA phosphatase with tumor suppressor-like activity. Oncogene 2013, 33(22):2918-27.
- Husain, H., A. Psyrri, A. Markovic, T. Rampias, E. Pectasides, H. Wang, R. Slebos, G.Yarbrough, B. Burtness, and C.H. Chung. Nuclear epidermal growth factor receptor and p16 expression in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Laryngoscope2012, 22(12):2762-8.
- Hoshino, D., J. Jourquin, S.W. Emmons, T. Miller, M. Goldgof, K. Costello, D.R. Tyson, B. Brown, Y. Lu, N.K. Prasad, B. Zhang, G.B. Mills, G.Yarbrough, V. Quaranta, M. Seiki, and A.M. Weaver. Network analysis of the focal adhesion to invadopodia transition identifies a PI3K-PKCα invasive signaling axis. Science Signaling2012, 5(241):ra66.
- Vlacich, G., R. Diaz, S.W. Thorpe, B.A. Murphy, W. Kirby, R.J. Sinard, B. Shakhtour, Y. Shyr, P. Murphy, J.L. Netterville, G.Yarbrough, A.J. Cmelak. Intensity-modulated radiation therapy with concurrent Carboplatin and Paclitaxel for locally advanced head and neck cancer: toxicities and efficacy. Oncologist2012, 17(5):673-81.
- Gubanova, E., B. Brown, S.V. Ivanov, T. Helleday, G.B. Mills, G.Yarbrough, N. Issaeva. Downregulation of SMG-1 in HPV-Positive Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Due to Promoter Hypermethylation Correlates with Improved Survival. Clinical Cancer Research2012, 18(5):1257-1267.
- Gilbert, J., B. Murphy, M.S. Dietrich, E. Henry, R. Jordan, A. Counsell, P. Wirth, G.Yarbrough, R.J. Slebos, and C.H. Chung. Phase 2 trial of oxaliplatin and pemetrexed as an induction regimen in locally advanced head and neck cancer. Cancer2012, 118(4):1007-13.
- Athavale, S.M., S. Phillips, B. Mangus, J. Datta, R.J. Sinard, J.L. Netterville, B.B. Burkey, and G. Yarbrough*. Complications of alloderm and dermamatrix for parotidectomy reconstruction. Head & Neck2012, 34(1):88-93.
- Zimmerman, L.J., M. Li, G.Yarbrough, R.Slebos, and D.C. Liebler. Global stability of plasma proteomes for mass spectrometry-based analyses. Molecular & Cellular Proteomics2012, 1(6):M111.
- Liu, D., W.D. Wang, D.B. Melville, Y.I. Cha, Z. Yin, N. Issaeva, E.W. Knapik, and G.Yarbrough.Tumor suppressor Lzap regulates cell cycle progression, doming and zebrafish epiboly. Developmental Dynamics2011, 240(6):1613-25.
- An, H., X. Lu, D. Liu, and G.Yarbrough*.LZAP inhibits p38 MAPK (p38) phosphorylation and activity by facilitating p38 association with the wild-type p53 induced phosphatase 1 (WIP1). PLoS One2011, 6(1):e16427.
- Hatakeyama, H., H. Cheng, P. Wirth, A. Counsell, S.R. Marcrom, C.B. Wood, P.R. Pohlmann, J. Gilbert, B. Murphy, G. Yarbrough, D.L. Wheeler, P.M. Harari, Y. Guo, Y. Shyr, R.J. Slebos, and C.H. Chung. Regulation of heparin-binding EGF-like growth factor by miR-212 and acquired cetuximab-resistance in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Public Library of Science One2010, 5(9):e12702.
- Li, M., W. Gray, H. Zhang, C.H. Chung, D. Billheimer, G. Yarbrough, D.C. Liebler, Y. Shyr, and R.J. Slebos. Comparative shotgun proteomics using spectral count data and quasi-likelihood modeling. Journal of Proteome Research2010, 9(8):4295-305.
- Diaz, R., J.J. Jaboin, M. Morales-Paliza, E. Koehler, J.G. Phillips, S. Stinson, J. Gilbert, C.H. Chung, B.A. Murphy, G.Yarbrough, P.B. Murphy, Y. Shyr, and A.J. Cmelak. Hypothyroidism as a Consequence of Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy with Concurrent Taxane-Based Chemotherapy for Locally Advanced Head-and-Neck Cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 2010, 77(2):468-76.
- Hartert, T.V., K. Carroll, T. Gebretsadik, G. Yarbrough,K. Woodward, and P. Minton. Vanderbilt Center for Asthma and Environmental Health Research Investigators and Collaborators. The Tennessee Children’s Respiratory Initiative: Objectives, design and recruitment results of a prospective cohort study investigating infant viral respiratory illness and the development of asthma and allergic diseases.Respirology2010, 15:691-699.
- Chung, C.H., J. Aulino, N.J. Muldowney, H. Hatakeyama, J. Baumann, B. Burkey, J. Netterville, R. Sinard, G.Yarbrough, A.J. Cmelak, R.J. Slebos, Y. Shyr, J. Parker, J. Gilbert, and B.A. Murphy. Nuclear factor-kappa B pathway and response in a phase II trial of bortezomib and docetaxel in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Annals of Oncology 2010 21(4):864-70.
- Civantos, F.J., R.P. Zitsch, D.E. Schuller, A. Agrawal, R.B. Smith, R. Nason, G. Petruzelli, C.G. Gourin, R.J. Wong, R.L. Ferris, A. El Naggar, J.A. Ridge, and R.C. Paniello, K. Owzar, L. McCall, D.B. Chepeha, G. Yarbrough, and J.N. Myers. Sentinel lymph node biopsy accurately stages the regional lymph nodes for T1-T2 oral squamous cell carcinomas: results of a prospective multi-institutional trial. Journal of Clinical Oncology2010, 28(8):1395-400.
- Murphy, B.A., M.S. Dietrich, N. Wells, K. Dwyer, S.H. Ridner, H.J. Silver, J. Gilbert, C.H. Chung, A. Cmelak, B. Burkey, G.Yarbrough, R. Sinard, and J. Netterville. Reliability and Validity of the Vanderbilt Head and Neck Symptom Survey: A Tool to Assess Symptom Burden in Patients Treated with Chemoradiation. Head & Neck2010, 32(1): 26-37.
- Law, J.H., A.S. Whigham, P.S. Wirth, D. Liu, M.Q. Pham, S. Vadivelu, K.C. Kirkbride, B.T. Brown, B.B. Burkey, R.J. Sinard, J.L. Netterville, and G.Yarbrough*. Human-in-mouse modeling of primary head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Laryngoscope 2009, 119(12):2315-23.
- Yang, E.S., B.M. Murphy, C.H. Chung, J.L. Netterville, B.B. Burkey, J. Gilbert, W.G. Yarbrough, R. Sinard, and A.J. Cmelak. Evolution of clinical trials in head and neck cancer. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology2009, 71(1):29-42.
- Baumann, J.L., S. Cohen, A.N. Evjen, J.H. Law, S. Vadivelu, A. Attia, J.S. Schindler, C.H. Chung, P.S. Wirth, C.J. Meijer, P.J. Snijders, G. Yarbrough, and R.J. Slebos. Human papillomavirus in early laryngeal carcinoma.Laryngoscope2009, 119(8):1531-1537.