Associate Professor; Director, UNC LCCC Analytical Chemistry and Pharmacology Core (ACPC) Lab
School of Pharmacy
Area of interest
My research program is part of the Division of Pharmacotherapy and Experimental Therapeutics in the Eshelman School of Pharmacy at the University of North Carolina (UNC) and the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center. I have been involved in translational studies of anticancer agents for several years. My research interests focus on the application of pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic, phenotypic and pharmacogenetic principles in the optimization of the chemotherapeutic treatment of cancer. Information obtained from preclinical and clinical translational studies can greatly add to the understanding of the pharmacology of anticancer agents, permit individualization of chemotherapeutic treatment based on pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic, phenotypic and pharmacogenetic principles, and allow for the rational design of therapeutic regimens.
A second focus of my research is on the development of carrier-mediated agents (CMAs), such as nanoparticles, liposomes, conjugates and antibody drug conjugates (ADCs). As part of these studies, our group has developed methods and technologies to differentiate between the inactive-encapsulate and active-released forms of the CMAs in blood, tumor and tissues and to evaluate the factors affecting the delivery of CMAs to tumors and tissues. I also focus on evaluating the bi-directional interaction between these agents and the mononuclear phagocyte system (MPS), which is the primary clearance pathway for CMAs. We have developed phenotypic probes which can be used to predict the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic disposition of CMAs and are developing specific probes for ADCs. The clinical relevance of studies is underscored by the need to treat solid tumors with effective doses, anticancer agents that have high tumor penetration, develop methods to increase the tumor delivery of CMAs, and generate treatment regimens to enhance selective tumor uptake.
Awards and Honors
- Director, GLP Analytical Facility, Center for Experimental Therapeutics, School of Pharmacy and UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 2008 to present.
- Associate Professor, Division of Pharmacotherapy and Experimental Therapeutics, School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 2008 to present.
- Member, Molecular Therapeutics Program, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 2008 to present.
- Member, Institute for Pharmacogenomics and Individualized Therapy, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 2008 to present.
- Member, Carolina Center of Cancer Nanotechnology Excellence, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 2008 to present.
- American College of Clinical Oncology Aventis Oncology Fellowship entitled Evaluation of the Tumor Disposition of Cisplatin using Microdialysis in Patients with Melanoma, 2001.
- Papa Johns/V Foundation Award for Factors Affecting the Tumor Disposition of Anticancer project, 2000.
Reach NC Profile
Find Publications on Pubmed