Five things everyone can do to improve Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at UNC Lineberger
This list is adapted from the UNC Lineberger Scientific Retreat held December 7, 2020.
- Provide support, infrastructures and awareness for researchers to apply to diversity supplements and F31s.
- Offer implicit bias training.
- Provide mentorship at all levels.
- Promote ally behaviors and an inclusive lab.
- Discussions with your lab or research team: How will you recruit more diverse students, staff and faculty?
Articles to read
- Power in Our Hands: Addressing Racism in the Workplace Marjory Charlot, MD, MPH, MSc, UNC Lineberger Equity Council Executive Core member
- This, Too, Is What Racism Feels Like Brooke A. Cunningham, MD, PHD
- Black Lives Matter: Racism and Public Health Jennifer Jee-Lyn García, PhD, and Mienah Zulfacar Sharif, MPH
- Structural Solutions for the Rarest of the Rare- Underrepresented-Minority Faculty in Medical Subspecialties Kemi M. Doll, MD & Charles R. Thomas, Jr., MD
- This is What I Want to Tell My White Professors When They Ask, ‘How Are You Today?’ LaShyra “Lash” Nolen
- What is Owed: Without Economic Justice, There Can Be No True Equality Nikole Hannah-Jones
- Anti-Black racism and behavioral medicine: confronting the past to envision the future Jessica Y Breland, Michael V Stanton
- Reigniting Dr. Martin Luther King’s call to action: the role of the behavioral scientist in the movement for social justice and racial equity Nicole Farmer, Talya Gordon, Kimberly R Middleton, Alyssa T Brooks, Gwenyth R Wallen
- STRATEGIES FOR EFFECTIVE MENTORSHIP OF BIPOC STUDENTS The Health Behavior Equity Task Force
- CLOSING GAPS IN CANCER SCREENING: Connecting People, Communities, and Systems to Improve Equity and Access A report from the President’s cancer panel to the President of the United States
- Health Affairs: Vol 41 No2: In this theme issue, a number of articles orient the reader to the complex relationship between racism and health.
- Delaware is shrinking racial gaps in cancer death. Its secret? Patient navigators. Yuki Noguchi, NPR
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion efforts across UNC
- Community and Stakeholder Engagement (CaSE) Program, NC TraCS – Racial Equity Resources (webinars, blogs, trainings, podcasts, and resources local to UNC-Chapel Hill)
- The University Office for Diversity and Inclusion
- UNC School of Medicine – Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- UNC School of Nursing – Diversity & Inclusiveness
- UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health – Inclusive Excellence
- UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy – Diversity and Inclusion
- UNC Health – Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Also consider following UNC’s efforts on social media:
@UNCDiversity – The University Office for Diversity and Inclusion on Twitter