Five things everyone can do to improve Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at UNC Lineberger
This list is adapted from the UNC Lineberger Scientific Retreat held December 7, 2020.
- Provide support, infrastructures and awareness for researchers to apply to diversity supplements and F31s.
- Offer implicit bias training.
- Provide mentorship at all levels.
- Promote ally behaviors and an inclusive lab.
- Discussions with your lab or research team: How will you recruit more diverse students, staff and faculty?
Existing programs that could be leveraged to recruit more diverse trainees and faculty:
- Carolina Postdoctoral Program for Faculty Diversity
- Cancer Health Disparities Postdoctoral Program, based in the Gillings School of Global Public Health.
- Cancer Care Quality Training Program (CCQTP, co-directed by Stephanie Wheeler and Ethan Basch) and the Cancer Control Education Program (CCEP, co-directed by Melissa Troester and Kurt Ribisl)—both of which have cancer health disparities and recruitment of diverse pre- and post-doc fellows as priorities, and both are currently accepting applications! View fellowship programs at UNC Lineberger.
- UNC-NCCU Partners (U54) Program
- Also, the UNC Diversity Office collates a whole group of 100+ scholarships and awards that support diverse students.
- And although not a fellowship program, you can check out the university-wide diversity awards as well.
Articles to read
- Power in Our Hands: Addressing Racism in the Workplace Marjory Charlot, MD, MPH, MSc, UNC Lineberger Equity Council Executive Core member
- This, Too, Is What Racism Feels Like Brooke A. Cunningham, MD, PHD
- Black Lives Matter: Racism and Public Health Jennifer Jee-Lyn García, PhD, and Mienah Zulfacar Sharif, MPH
- Structural Solutions for the Rarest of the Rare- Underrepresented-Minority Faculty in Medical Subspecialties Kemi M. Doll, MD & Charles R. Thomas, Jr., MD
- This is What I Want to Tell My White Professors When They Ask, ‘How Are You Today?’ LaShyra “Lash” Nolen
- What is Owed: Without Economic Justice, There Can Be No True Equality Nikole Hannah-Jones
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion efforts across UNC
- Community and Stakeholder Engagement (CaSE) Program, NC TraCS – Racial Equity Resources (webinars, blogs, trainings, podcasts, and resources local to UNC-Chapel Hill)
- The University Office for Diversity and Inclusion
- UNC School of Medicine – Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- UNC School of Nursing – Diversity & Inclusiveness
- UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health – Inclusive Excellence
- UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy – Diversity and Inclusion
- UNC Health – Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Also consider following UNC’s efforts on social media:
@UNCDiversity – The University Office for Diversity and Inclusion on Twitter