Partners Public Health
***There will be a few changes to the Partners summer 2022 program as a result of COVID-19 restrictions and complications. The program is subject to change as needed to protect coordinators and students.
About the Partners Public Health Program
The Public Health concentration of the Partners Program introduces undergraduate students to public health research in areas relevant to disparities in the prevention, incidence, treatment, mortality and morbidity of cancer. Students who successfully complete the first year of the program may be invited back for a second year.
The Partners Public Health Concentration offers:
- Eight-week summer experience at UNC’s Gillings School of Global Public Health, which includes a service learning course, placement with a cancer-related research project and workshops. Students will learn about core public health concepts, disciplines and careers; professional skills valued by public health employers; and personal and professional public health networks.
- Professional Development workshops in use of online/social media for professional networking and for projects in the professional public health arena; leadership skills; and communicating messages about public health issues to a variety of audiences in written, oral, and poster formats.
- Cultural Competency workshops exploring how cultural beliefs and practices affect public health services and research, as well as best practices working in multicultural environments.
- Preparation for Graduate Record Exam.
- Attend regional or national scientific meeting to present research results.
- Paid research fellowship at NCCU for 10 – 14 hrs/week during the academic year; bimonthly journal clubs.
- During the academic year complete two courses at NCCU: Introduction to Public Health (HEDU 3210) and Introduction to Epidemiology (HEDU 3220).
- Identify who will write your two letters of recommendation from NCCU faculty – you will need to submit the the faculty members’ contact information as part of your application.
- Complete and submit the online application.