**Applications have closed for the Spring 2023 cycle. Fall 2023 cycle application announcement will be circulated in July 2023**
Click here to download the application
The Cancer Outcomes Research Program provides two opportunities per year, spring and fall, for students, fellows, and trainees to apply for travel funding. The program provides up to $2,000 per trainee per travel opportunity to help defray the costs of air travel, registration, and other related expenses so that trainees can attend and present cancer-related research at scientific meetings.
Other approved uses for travel award funds are attending scientific meetings, workshops, seminars, and training programs to enhance skills in a cancer-related area, as well as engaging in collaborative research in the community.
- Spring cycle: call for applications in late January/early February
- Fall cycle: call for applications in July/early August.
If travel falls very close to one of the application deadlines, the program does consider applications for “early decision.”
- **WAIVER REQUIRED FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL (allow 14 days for this process): https://global.unc.edu/travel-operations/travel-policies/**
- Applicant must be a current UNC student or fellow/trainee at the time of the application and at the time of the proposed travel
- To be reimbursed, applicants must submit an application and be awarded a travel award prior to commencing travel
- Preference will give to those who have not received a travel award in the past, and who have been invited to present research at a scientific conference
- Because these awards are state funds, all travel must follow UNC policy. All awardees will attend a mandatory meeting with the Outcomes Program Manager and the Lineberger to go over policies and to assist with travel planning
- Expenses such as registration and airline tickets can be paid for in advance using the award, but the majority of expenses are reimbursed after the travel, per UNC policy.
- Reimbursement will be made based on actual expenses, up to the limit of $2,000 per travel per trainee. The travel award cannot be used to cover multiple travels.
For any questions about this award, please contact Eden Gifford, email@example.com.