Application deadline is Sunday, May 3, 2020, by 5 p.m. ET.
The UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center is seeking applicants for the 2020 Michael S. O’Malley Alumni Award for Publication Excellence in Cancer Population Sciences. This competitive $3,000 award recognizes an outstanding manuscript published by a UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health alumna/alumnus that advances knowledge in population-based cancer research. The cash award goes directly to the recipient and can be used for any purpose.
This award honors Michael O’Malley, PhD, a leader in cancer prevention and control at UNC-Chapel Hill and across the nation. Dr. O’Malley served as the associate director of UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center for more than 20 years. He also served as an adjunct associate professor of health policy and management at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health where he was a mentor for countless students over the years. Dr. O’Malley’s kindness and infectious smile spread warmth throughout the entire cancer center. An exceptional leader, many knew him as a great “connector,” and he was beloved by everyone he connected with at Carolina. Visit the UNC Lineberger memorial page to learn more about Dr. O’Malley.
- Alumna/alumnus of UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, within 6 years of graduation from most recent SPH degree
- Authorship: First author
- Topic: Population sciences (e.g., cancer prevention and control, cancer epidemiology, cancer outcomes, health services research)
- Publication date: Any paper published or in press within 6 years of last graduation from the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health
- Selection criteria: Cancer-relatedness, significance, impact
Please send the following application items as a single PDF file:
- The manuscript for consideration
- A statement describing the publication’s impact
- The author’s curriculum vitae
Email the application to Hannah Prentice-Dunn at email@example.com, project manager, Cancer Prevention and Control, UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- May 3, 2020: Applications due
- May – June, 2020: Applications reviewed by UNC Lineberger population sciences leadership team
- July 10, 2020: Awardee notified
- September 2020: Awardee honored at UNC Lineberger Scientific Retreat
Previous award winners include:
2019: Gina Ogilvie, MD, MSc, FCFP, DrPH
Gina Suzanne Ogilvie, Dirk van Niekerk, Mel Krajden, Laurie W. Smith, Darrel Cook, Lovedeep Gondara, Kathy Ceballos, David Quinlan, Marette Lee, Ruth Elwood Martin, Laura Gentile, Stuart Peacock, Gavin C. E. Stuart, MD, Eduardo L. Franco, Andrew J. Coldman. Effect of Screening With Primary Cervical HPV Testing vs Cytology Testing on High-grade Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia at 48 Months. JAMA. 2018;320(1):43-52.
2018: Lynn Chollet-Hinton, PhD
Lynn Chollet-Hinton, Andrew F. Olshan, Hazel B. Nichols, Carey K. Anders, Jennifer L. Lund, Emma H. Allott, Traci N. Bethea, Chi-Chen Hong, Stephanie M. Cohen, Thaer Khoury, Gary R. Zirpoli, Virginia F. Borges, Lynn A. Rosenberg, Elisa V. Bandera, Christine B. Ambrosone, Julie R. Palmer, and Melissa A. Troester. Biology and Etiology of Young-Onset Breast Cancers among Premenopausal African American Women: Results from the AMBER Consortium. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers Prev. 2017;26:1722-1729
2017: Angela, Stover, PhD
Stover AM, Mayer DK, Muss H, Wheeler SB, Lyons J, Reeve BB. Quality of life changes during the pre- to post-diagnosis period and treatment-related recovery time in older women with breast cancer. Cancer 2014;120:1881-1889