Resources for Department Travel
Please Note: All international travel must be approved due to COVID19 University Policy. Please continute to check UNC’s website for the latest updates: https://www.unc.edu/coronavirus/coronavirus-travel-information/
Virtual Conference Resgistrationns and domestic conference registrations are allowable at this time.
Important information you need PRIOR to planning your trip
- Conference Registration Prepayment.
- Conference registration fees are an allowable business expense for University employees. The registration fees may be paid directly to the conference prior to attendance by submitting a Purchasing Card (PCard) Prepayment form along with
- a link to the conference
- your conference username and password
- Answer registration questions and leave the payment portion of the registration for our PCard holder from the Business Office to pay. Registration confirmations must be forwarded to the PCard holder upon receipt.
- Registration cost reimbursements prior to the event are no longer allowable under Travel policy. If a traveler chooses to pay for conference registration with their own monies, they must wait for reimbursement until after they return from the meeting.
- Pre-Travel Approval
All travel must be pre approved by submitting at request in the Concur Travel Sustem. https://finance.unc.edu/services/travel/concur/
- Third-Party Lodging (Airbnb). If using third party lodging, Travel Services requires a Non-Hotel Lodging Authorization form approval prior to your trip. Please submit the Non-Hotel Lodging Authorization Request form approval along with your travel reimbursement form. This approval must be uploaded with the travel receipts.
- Excess Lodging Authorization Form. Because the maximum State rate may not be attainable, please complete this form and have your supervisor sign before the trip if a hotel rate exceeds $300 per night (or $400 per night in the following high-cost cities: Boston, New York City, San Francisco and the Bay area, Washington DC, Los Angeles).
Types of Transportation
- Mileage Reimbursement. A state employee shall be reimbursed for the business standard mileage rate set by the IRS when using their personal vehicles for state business. Parking fees, tolls, and storage fees are reimbursable when the required receipts are obtained. Fines for traffic and parking violations are the responsibility of the state employee.
- Taxis and Ride-Sharing Services. Reimbursement for travel between the employee’s duty station and the nearest airline terminal may be made through a car, taxi, or ride-sharing service. Relevant itemized receipts must be included in reimbursement submission.
- You are required to submit travel expenses within 30 days of the completion of the trip. If travel expenses are not submitted within 30 days, please include a written justification for the delay.
- Travel Expense Form
- Submit itemized receipts along with our travel expense reimbursement form.
- Check Out UNC’s New Travel and Expenses Page
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Travel Checklist
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Travel Quick Reference Guide
- Hotel Information
|Hotel||Distance from Campus (Approx.)||Rates (Approx.)||Phone|
Carolina Inn Room Reservation Billing Authorization
*(UNC Visitor Rate)
|Hampton Inn & Suites Chapel Hill-Carrboro Downtown||.5 miles||$129-$299||(919) 969-6988|
|Aloft Chapel Hill||1.5 miles||$114||(919) 932-7772|
|The Siena Hotel||1.5 miles||$129||(919) 929-4000|
|The Franklin Hotel||1.6 miles||$175-599||(919) 442-9000|
|Courtyard By Marriott Chapel Hill||2 miles||$119||(919) 883-0700|
|Days Inn||2 miles||$72-142||(919) 929-3090|
|Quality Inn Chapel Hill||2 miles||$64-113||(919) 968-3000|
|Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel||2.5 miles||$91||(919) 968-4900|
|Residence Inn by Marriott||3.1 miles||$109-$169||(919) 933-4848|
|Hampton Inn & Suites Chapel Hill||3.5 miles||$109-$159||(919) 403-8700
|Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill||4 miles||$77-140||(919) 489-7555