Resources for Department Travel
Please Note: All university travel outside the state must be approved due to COVID19 University Policy. Virtual Conference Resgistration is Allowable.
Contact your accountant or administrative assistant to assist with prepayment of conference registrations
Per UNC policy the following types of fees are not reimbursable (i.e. insurance on rental cars, agency fees on airline tickets, room service on hotel receipts, etc.)
Important information you need PRIOR to planning your trip
- Conference Registration Prepayment.
- Conference registration fees are an allowable business expense for University employees. The registration fees may be paid directly to the conference prior to attendance by submitting a Purchasing Card (PCard) Prepayment form along with
- a link to the conference
- your conference username and password
- Answer registration questions and leave the payment portion of the registration for our PCard holder from the Business Office to pay. Registration confirmations must be forwarded to the PCard holder upon receipt.
- Registration cost reimbursements prior to the event are no longer allowable under Travel policy. If a traveler chooses to pay for conference registration with their own monies, they must wait for reimbursement until after they return from the meeting.
- Personal Travel. If a traveler’s trip will include personal travel, they must submit a pre-authorization signed by their PI/supervisor indicating that the travel is primarily business-related, with a personal component.
- Pre-Travel Authorization.
- IPAS. If a traveler is traveling internationally, they must check with their PI and lab accountant to see if the funding source for their trip allows foreign travel. If the source does not allow foreign travel, the accountant must submit an IPAS prior to departure.
- Foreign Travel: Global Travel Registry. If a department member is traveling internationally, they must register with the Global Travel registry, including the dates/legs of their travel, contact information, where they will be staying, or emergency contacts.
- Foreign Travel Insurance. Once a department member is registered with the Global Travel Registry, they must submit a payment method for insurance to Cynthia Akridge in LCCC accounting.
- Third-Party Lodging (Airbnb). If using third party lodging, Travel Services requires a Non-Hotel Lodging Authorization form approval prior to your trip. Please submit the Non-Hotel Lodging Authorization Request form approval along with your travel reimbursement form. This approval must be uploaded with the travel receipts.
- Excess Lodging Authorization Form. Because the maximum State rate may not be attainable, please complete this form and have your supervisor sign before the trip if a hotel rate exceeds $300 per night (or $400 per night in the following high-cost cities: Boston, New York City, San Francisco and the Bay area, Washington DC, Los Angeles).
Types of Transportation
- Airline Reservations. Always use U.S. flagged air carriers when traveling on federal funds (i.e. American, U.S. Airways, Southwestern – NOT AirCanada, Air France, etc.).
- The Central Airfare Billing System (CABS) allows university employees to make airline reservations and to directly bill their airfare to the project or fund that will be paying for their trip. This means that no out-of-pocket costs will be incurred by the employee traveler.
- Make sure you keep your receipt for airport or terminal parking. A receipt for parking is required for reimbursement.
- Rental Cars. Effective August 15, 2016, University faculty and staff needing short-term vehicle rentals should use Enterprise Rent-a-Car, an approved vendor with the State of North Carolina. Using a rental vehicle is often less expensive than using a personal vehicle, and insurance is included in all Enterprise reservations.
- Mileage Reimbursement. A state employee shall be reimbursed for the business standard mileage rate set by the IRS when using their personal vehicles for state business. Parking fees, tolls, and storage fees are reimbursable when the required receipts are obtained. Fines for traffic and parking violations are the responsibility of the state employee.
- Taxis and Ride-Sharing Services. Reimbursement for travel between the employee’s duty station and the nearest airline terminal may be made through a car, taxi, or ride-sharing service. Relevant itemized receipts must be included in reimbursement submission.
While You’re Gone
- International Currency Converter.
- Meal Allowances. UNC reimburses by a standard per diem rate set by the state (or by the federal government, if international). Travelers only receive the per diem rate for the meals they are eligible for. Purchases exceeding these allowances will not be reimbursed.
- Meals are not eligible for reimbursement if those meals are provided by a third party. If the conference provides meals or the traveler’s hotel has a complimentary continental breakfast, university policy states those meals are not eligible for reimbursement.
- You are required to submit travel expenses within 30 days of the completion of the trip. If travel expenses are not submitted within 30 days, please include a written justification for the delay.
- Travel Expense Form
- Submit itemized receipts along with our travel expense reimbursement form.
- Check Out UNC’s New Travel and Expenses Page
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Travel Checklist
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Travel Quick Reference Guide
- Hotel Information
|Hotel||Distance from Campus (Approx.)||Rates (Approx.)||Phone|
Carolina Inn Room Reservation Billing Authorization
*(UNC Visitor Rate)
|Hampton Inn & Suites Chapel Hill-Carrboro Downtown||.5 miles||$129-$299||(919) 969-6988|
|Aloft Chapel Hill||1.5 miles||$114||(919) 932-7772|
|The Siena Hotel||1.5 miles||$129||(919) 929-4000|
|The Franklin Hotel||1.6 miles||$175-599||(919) 442-9000|
|Courtyard By Marriott Chapel Hill||2 miles||$119||(919) 883-0700|
|Days Inn||2 miles||$72-142||(919) 929-3090|
|Quality Inn Chapel Hill||2 miles||$64-113||(919) 968-3000|
|Sheraton Chapel Hill Hotel||2.5 miles||$91||(919) 968-4900|
|Residence Inn by Marriott||3.1 miles||$109-$169||(919) 933-4848|
|Hampton Inn & Suites Chapel Hill||3.5 miles||$109-$159||(919) 403-8700
|Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill||4 miles||$77-140||(919) 489-7555