Sylvia Hatchell’s mountain blueberry patch supports UNC Lineberger
Former UNC Women’s Basketball Coach Sylvia Hatchell has a very special blueberry patch near Black Mountain, NC. On this land, Hatchell keeps a blueberry patch with 250 blueberry bushes and invites visitors to the “pick your own” patch. Pickers are encouraged to make a donation to UNC Lineberger on an honor system based on how much they pick.
All proceeds and collections from the the blueberry patch go directly to UNC Lineberger, where Hatchell was treated for leukemia in 2013 and 2014.
Blueberries are full of powerful antioxidants, vitamins C and K, and dietary fiber, making them one of the American Institute for Cancer Research’s top foods that can help fight cancer.
The blueberries at the patch are generally available from early July through mid-August each summer.
Blueberry patch address
143 Flat Creek Rd
Open address in Google Maps
Directions to the blueberry patch
- Take Interstate 40 West to exit 64, NC-9
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Chimney Rock/Lake Lure/North Carolina 9 S
- Turn left onto NC-9 S/Black Mt Ave
- Continue to follow NC-9 S for 5 miles
- Turn right onto Chestnut Hill Rd
- Continue to follow Chestnut Hill Rd for 2 miles
- Turn left onto Flat Creek Rd (Garren Creek Fire Department)
- Continue on Flat Creek Rd for 3/10 of a mile. Destination will be on the right.