Mission, Vision, & Values
The UNC Cancer Network is in the business of developing new and better approaches to community and provider education."
-Thomas Shea, MD
To provide scalable mechanisms for delivering oncology-related programs in education and research to healthcare practitioners, practitioners-in-training, and the public that will lead to reductions in morbidity and mortality from cancer and cancer-related illness in North Carolina.
- To significantly reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with cancer in North Carolina.
- To improve the quality of care for cancer patients in North Carolina and to improve the quality of life for North Carolina cancer survivors and their families.
- To develop and provide scalable mechanisms for sharing the best information available for the care and treatment of cancer patients with all relevant healthcare providers, providers-in-training, and the public.
- To use the evolving best-practices found in online education to scale the reach of oncology expertise to all relevant audiences.
- Every citizen of North Carolina deserves to have the impact of cancer minimized to the greatest degree possible.
- Technologies (including those associated with online learning) can be used to improve the reach and impact on oncology education.
- Clear communication from all relevant stake holders is essential to the effective delivery and ongoing improvement of our services.
- Technologies are tools. At their best, we can use them to improve the reach and impact of our experts. That said, what we do is all about the people.