- This event has passed.
Integrative Medicine — RN and Allied Health Lecture
February 13 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pmFree
Jacob Hill, ND, MS
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Program on Integrative Medicine
Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
UNC School of Medicine
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
When Managing Dietary Supplements
in Cancer Care
Jacob Hill’s main area of focus is integrative medicine and oncology. This lecture will cover various safety considerations regarding the combination of dietary supplements (herbal medicines, nutraceuticals, vitamins, minerals, etc.) and conventional cancer treatment. The lecture will discuss herb/drug interactions, mechanism interactions, food/drug interactions, as well as health systems and health behavior considerations. This lecture is intended to assist oncology providers in discussing dietary supplements with their patients and supporting the safe management of dietary supplements in cancer care.
- Define herb/drug interactions and identify potential safety concerns when using herbal medicines with cancer care.
- Describe and provide an example of a mechanism interaction between a dietary supplement and cancer treatment medication.
- Discuss health systems and health behavior considerations that increase the risk of a safety concern regarding dietary supplements in cancer care.
To Receive FREE Continuing Education Credit for this Live Lecture:
- Attend the live lecture, either by going to a designated site or by using Zoom (registration link above). Find out more about hosting a designated site.
- Be present in the lecture for a minimum of 50 minutes.
- After attending the live lecture, complete an evaluation and download your certificate.
- The instructions and password for the evaluation will be provided after the lecture is over.
- If you attend at a designated site, the site coordinator will provide you with the Live Activity Evaluation Instructions.
- If you attend via Zoom Webinar, you will receive an email 24 hours after the lecture with a link to the Live Activity Evaluation Instructions.
- Attendance at the live lecture is required to receive the Live Activity Evaluation Instructions.
- Certification Approved Flyers ( JPEG | PDF )
- Presentation Handout
- MediaSite Live Link (Livestream of lecture coming soon; recording available for viewing within 48 hours of lecture.)
UNCCN Site Coordinators:
- All documents and information for UNCCN Site Coordinators (including connection information, presentation handout, and links to obtain certificates) can be accessed on the UNC Cancer Network Learning Portal.
Self-Paced, Online Courses with FREE Continuing Education Credit:
- This lecture will be available as a FREE Self-Paced, Online Course in March 2019. Please visit learn.unccn.org to peruse our many Self-Paced, Online Courses.
*Lecture topic subject to change.