- This event has passed.
Working with LEP Patients & Medical Interpreters — RN and Allied Health Lecture
October 9 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pmFree
Myriam Peereboom, MBA/MHA, CMI, CHITM
Education Specialist, Interpreter Services
UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
UNC School of Medicine
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Working with LEP Patients & Medical Interpreters
Sometimes patients and their families have problems working with physicians and nurses because of language barriers. Myriam Peereboom, MBA/MHA, CMI, CHITM, will discuss the role(s) that an interpreter plays within the treatment plan as well as their modes and methods of conveying information back and forth. She will also share the importance in utilizing a qualified interpreter and the legal implications from using an unqualified interpreter.
- Differentiate an Interpreter from a Translator.
- Describe legal or negative consequences of not using a qualified Interpreter or Translator.
- Identify different interpreting roles, modes and methods.
To Receive FREE Continuing Education Credit for this Live Lecture:
- Attend 50 minutes or more of the live lecture:
- After the live lecture, complete an evaluation and download your certificate.
- The Live Activity Evaluation Instructions and password for the evaluation is provided after the lecture to those who attend 50 minutes or more of the live lecture:
- At a designated site, the site coordinator will provide the Live Activity Evaluation Instructions.
- With Zoom Webinar, an email containing a link to the Live Activity Evaluation Instructions will be sent within 24 hours of the lecture
- You have 7 days from the date of this lecture to complete your electronic evaluation and claim a certificate of credit.
- Certification Flyers ( JPEG | PDF )
- Presentation Handout ( 2-Up Version | 3-Up Version )
- MediaSite Live Link (Livestream of lecture; recording available for viewing within 48 hours of lecture.)
UNCCN Site Coordinators:
- All documents and information for UNCCN Site Coordinators (including connection information, presentation handout, and links to obtain certificates) can be accessed on the UNC Cancer Network Learning Portal.
Self-Paced, Online Courses with FREE Continuing Education Credit:
- This lecture will be available as a FREE Self-Paced, Online Course in November 2019. Please visit learn.unccn.org to peruse our many Self-Paced, Online Courses.
*Lecture topic subject to change.