- This event has passed.
Prevention of Chronic Post-Operative Pain in Cancer Patients (RN and Allied Health Lecture)
December 12, 2018 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Dominika L. James, MD
Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology
Director, Inpatient Pain Service
Director, UNC Pain Fellowship Program
UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
UNC School of Medicine
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Prevention of Chronic Post-Operative Pain in Cancer Patients
The talk discusses perioperative pain management techniques that can be utilized to decrease post-operative pain as well as development of chronic postoperative pain among cancer patients.
- Define pain, outline early history of pain and discuss concepts of peripheral and central sensitization in development of chronic pain
- Define persistent postsurgical pain and address incidence and causative factors contributing to PPSP among cancer patients
- Describe use of multimodal analgesics and regional anesthesia in preventing PPSP in cancer population
To Receive FREE Continuing Education Credit for this Live Lecture:
- Attend the live lecture, either by going to a designated site or by using Zoom (registration link above). Find out more about hosting a designated site.
- Be present in the lecture for a minimum of 50 minutes.
- After attending the live lecture, complete an evaluation and download your certificate.
- The instructions and password for the evaluation will be provided after the lecture is over.
- If you attend at a designated site, the site coordinator will provide you with the Live Activity Evaluation Instructions.
- If you attend via Zoom Webinar, you will receive an email 24 hours after the lecture with a link to the Live Activity Evaluation Instructions.
- Attendance at the live lecture is required to receive the Live Activity Evaluation Instructions.
- Certification Approved Flyer ( JPEG | PDF )
- Presentation Handout
- MediaSite Live Link (Livestream of lecture; recording available for viewing within 48 hours of lecture.)
UNCCN Site Coordinators:
- All documents and information for UNCCN Site Coordinators (including connection information, presentation handout, and links to obtain certificates) can be accessed on the UNC Cancer Network Learning Portal.
Self-Paced, Online Courses with FREE Continuing Education Credit:
- This lecture will be available as a FREE Self-Paced, Online Course in January 2019. Please visit learn.unccn.org to peruse our many Self-Paced, Online Courses.
*Lecture topic subject to change.