Nutrition and the Aging Brain in Cancer Care — RN and Allied Health Lecture
December 11 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pmFree
Melissa Walter, MPH, RDN, LDN
(YUM) good living
UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, Department of Nutrition
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Nutrition and the Aging Brain in Cancer Care
Our brains change as we age. These alterations within the grey matter becomes more complicated when a patient undergoes radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy. Melissa Walter will guide us in how we can maintain brain health while managing weight gain or loss and controlling nausea.
- Identify critical elements of a diet that provides support for age-related changes in brain function and cognition.
- Describe brain and neurological changes that occur as a result of chemotherapy and radiation treatments in cancer care.
- Discuss ways to provide basic nutrition support and to make dietitian referrals to lessen cognitive and neurological impacts of chemotherapy and radiation.
Please note that all objectives are fine for pharmacists, but only objective 1 would apply to techs.
To Receive FREE Continuing Education Credit for this Live Lecture:
- Attend 50 minutes or more of the live lecture:
- After the live lecture, complete an evaluation and download your certificate.
- The Live Activity Evaluation Instructions and password for the evaluation is provided after the lecture to those who attend 50 minutes or more of the live lecture:
- At a designated site, the site coordinator will provide the Live Activity Evaluation Instructions.
- With Zoom Webinar, an email containing a link to the Live Activity Evaluation Instructions will be sent within 24 hours of the lecture
- You have 7 days from the date of this lecture to complete your electronic evaluation and claim a certificate of credit.
- Certification Flyers ( JPEG | PDF ) (Coming soon)
- Presentation Handout (Coming soon)
- MediaSite Live Link (Livestream of lecture coming soon; recording available for viewing within 48 hours of lecture.)
UNCCN Site Coordinators:
- All documents and information for UNCCN Site Coordinators (including connection information, presentation handout, and links to obtain certificates) can be accessed on the UNC Cancer Network Learning Portal.
Self-Paced, Online Courses with FREE Continuing Education Credit:
- This lecture will be available as a FREE Self-Paced, Online Course in January 2020. Please visit learn.unccn.org to peruse our many Self-Paced, Online Courses.
*Lecture topic subject to change.