Director, Applied Physiology Laboratory; Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Nutrition
Cancer Prevention and Control
Area of interest
My research interests center around exercise and nutrition interventions to modify various aspects of body composition, cardiovascular health, and metabolic function.
I am an active researcher in the field of metabolism, sport nutrition and exercise performance, in both healthy and clinical populations, leading projects funded by the National Institutes of Health and International and National industry sponsored clinical trials.
Smith-Ryan contributes to the current body of scientific literature with over 120 peer-reviewed manuscripts; a number of scholastic books and book chapters, and international/national presentations.
Awards and Honors
- 2019 – Working on Women in Science Scholar, UNC
- 2017 – National Institutes of Health, early career reviewer
- 2016 – Fellow Distinction, American College of Sports Medicine
- 2016 – Fellow Distinction, National Strength and Conditioning Association
- 2015 – Young Investigator of the Year Award, National Strength and Conditioning Association
- 2014- Nutrition Researcher of the Year Award, National Strength and Conditioning Association
- 2013- Fellow Distinction, International Society of Sports Nutrition