Lay Abstract Resources
As part of your application, please provide a lay abstract/project narrative summarizing the research to a general audience in plain language. It should avoid the use of jargon and explain any technical terms.
These lay abstracts will be used to describe the purpose of the research to the larger non-scientific community and will be reviewed by community and patient advocates as part of the review process.
If you do not include a lay abstract, or simply paste your scientific abstract, your proposal will be returned.
- VIew UNC Lineberger Lay Abstract Guide
- UNC Lineberger – NC TraCS Lay Abstract Workshop
- If you need additional support, please contact the UNC Lineberger Community Outreach and Engagement Office
- PubMed: Lay abstracts and summaries – writing advice for scientists
- Elsevier: In a nutshell – how to write a lay summary
- ScienceDirect: Recommendations for writing lay summaries
- Digital Curation Centre: How to Write a Lay Summary
- National Library of Medicine: Extending the reach of science – Talk in plain language
- Writing a Layperson Summary